Crampon position

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
Having received my first set of crampons for Christmas, I have a quick question. I recently read a question in the AMC Outdoors that dealt with setting the crampons to the flex position if you are wearing hiking boots and leaving the crampons in the rigid position is you are wearing plastic boots. I have worn crampons before and had no problem with them in the rigid position, so I was just wondering if I should switch over to the flex position? Any thoughts?

From what I understand, if you are wearing boots with a sole that flexes with crampons in the rigid position the metal will be stresed. It should be allowed to flex with the sole of the boot.

MOhammed is right, if the sole of your boot flexes, and the crampon doesn't, you'll break the crampons pretty quickly. Also, check where the boot flexes in relatino to where the crapmpons flex, if they're not flexing in the same spot, the results will be the same...breakage. (forgive any typos, i'm typing blind...getting a migraine...)

Er ... what are the flex and rigid positions? Or is it because I have dual-bail crampons that they are implicitly for rigid soles only (which is all I have) and I've just never seen equipment with the flex possibility?

MichaelJ said:
Er ... what are the flex and rigid positions? Or is it because I have dual-bail crampons that they are implicitly for rigid soles only (which is all I have) and I've just never seen equipment with the flex possibility?

On some crampons, the bar that connects the front and rear portions of the crampon can be adjusted so that it pivots, allowing the crampon to bend in the middle.

^MtnMike^

Last edited:
Hello MichaelJ:

I believe your crampons are the flexible type. (aren't they the Grivel G10's?)

Probably 95% of people use the flexible type, the rigids are for vertical ice.

BTW- I use the Grivel 2F's set in the rigid position with Scarpa Inverno plastics, never had a problem hiking with them.

'Virtual' BoB

Hmm ... I've never seen that. I'll have to check out one of the other kinds in person at the Gathering.

BoB - I have the Black Diamond Sabre Tooths. They're certainly rigid once they're in tension locked on the boots, but in fact it is not a fixed connection where the bar from the rear to front segments meet. Since they're dual-bailed, they do require a stiff-soled boot to work ... too much flexure and they might pop out (which they've done from my La Sportiva Makalu II's).

G-10 crampons have never given me problems, left in the default rigid position

leather boots (Montrail Moraines) and plastics (Koflach Degres) work well in the rigid position

Converting Grivel G-10 Crampons to Flexible Mode
---------------------------------------------------------------------

- If you have the G-10, undo the bolt or quick-clip at the heel

- Pull out the bar (the one that allows you to adjust the size)

- As you pull the bar out, you'll pull it through TWO "slots" on the front piece of the crampon

- Now put the bar back in, but only put it through one of the slots (the back one)

- Now readjust to fit your boot. The same size adjustment may not work

- You're now in flexible mode

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2664201080087147568uxMhJk

Last edited: