Crampon suggestions??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proszach

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm interested in buying a pair of crampons, as I'd like to begin hiking more often in the winter. Any suggestions regarding brands/price tag? I would be using them for general backpacking in the Whites. Thanks!
Zach

Make sure you get 'alpine' or 'mountaineering' crampons - the sales clerk will know. Technical ice climbing crampons are useles for anything else, while alpine crampons can be used in entry level (taking a course or workshop to see if you like it et c.) ice climbing.

Also, make sure that all your alpine equipment is stamped CE. As I just said on another thread, I wouldn't climb stairs with non-CE gear.

Bring the boots you will be wearing. Crampons will fall off some of the lighter boots, but stay on others. Walk outside for a while, if the clerk will allow.

After that, they're all good and cost pretty much the same. Get what's available near you (easier to take back if there's a problem), from a reputable retailer (EMS, REI, et c.) or mail order firm (Campmor, Sierra Trading Post or any of the so many others), on special if you're lucky. The manufacturers are all a little quirky (aren't we all?) and have their own special ideas about what works best (and will explain it FOREVER), but they're all good.

Strap-ons are more versatile and will continue to work if you buy new boots. Step-ins need boots with special welts and these might just be too heavy and stiff for what you want to do.

Good luck and have fun.

Doug