Cranberry Lake 50 Thru Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
The Cranberry Lake 50
An Adirondack Adventure
5/21-25/09

After Plenty of months of forum action and planning, the line-up was complete. 1adam12,NumNum,mtn. goat(NumNums son), Flying cow, Adkpiper, lee and myself. Adams wife had been in the ER on Monday and not well again on Thursday and back for more testing so he could not come. Thursday night after work I geared up the Pathfinder and headed north. Arriving around 7:30pm, I checked both trailheads, One white truck at burntbridge. It was a bit early to hit the hay so back to the cranberry lodge for some eats. I enjoyed a huge burger and 3 Long Trails. The last real food for 3-4 days IMO. Back to Burntbridge where I layed down with the air on cause it was warm and stuffy for a few hours before the sun had fallen. I awoke earlier than the alarm and with excitement got up and made coffee while getting ready for my partners in crime to arrive, 2 hrs from now..Ya !! I was excited!! Just before 7am, at the same time 2 cars arrive and its Flying cow, adkpiper and Lee, all of which I have never meet. After the greetings we headed down the trail to meet up with numnum who had hiked in and stayed the night at a site. After signing in the register we ran into NumNum and he said he didn’t want to deal with the BFs’. So we said our goodbyes and off we where. I lead the pace which I was stretching my legs pretty good. Trail was pouring energy into me. Myself and Adkpiper hiked together while lee and Pete stayed together. We all came upon this privy that lead to a great campsite. I think last one by Brandy Brook. After commenting on its great potential, we where off with few pics. Time stood still and miles added up. Soon we arrived at Curtis pond. Soon we had the news that Flying Cows ankle was not feeling well. After much talk we planned to camp for the night and see how it was in the morning. By morning it didn’t get better so Hollis walked back out with Pete. After breakfast we all said our goodbyes and parted ways. From this point on lee, who was a soft spoken man who had been on these trails before with all details in his head. All along the trail he would just start talking about each area we hit with stories. I came to enjoy hearing his readings and experiences in this wilderness. Pond after pond we planted on foot in front of another enjoying every minute. At the ponds we didn’t see much better of camping than we had at Curtis Pond. Soon we arrived at Chair Rock Flow. Another good camping site, I think it was 17 on the sign. I had PM’d Chairrock about being in this area but didn’t have a clue as to where his camp was. So onward we go.. Arriving at Olmstead Pond at 3pm, some canoes where just shoring. They where there to fish. One group talked about heading to Cowhorn pond. Others where just hiking around the loop as I think they where fishing the Big Lake, Two of the guys I had meet at the Lodge Thurday night. We mad camp at the first site which over looked the pond and directly across from the lean-to. Perfect for 2 tents. We both layed down and napped for abit and had dinner later. Just before dark we settled in away from the BFs’ for the night. Just a wonderful night, abit warmer than the first night. I awoke early at light and had heard lee already moving and the smell of fire…From the first night, Lee was the Fire guy. Morning and night…was perfect. Same old routine. Coffee, eat, pack, chat, reflect and 8am departure. It had been sprinkling since 6am. By now it was raining. We came to the lean-to and talked to three guys just chilling to there morning coffee/food waiting for the rain to end and get fishing. After no end of the rains we decide to head out anyhow. The one plus to the rains….No Bugs!!!! On the trail we seen 3 boys coming from Cowhorn as they stayed the night. I must have tightened my boots to much cause I developed a rub on my right ankle bone which was very sore, very quickly. Readjusting my boots a few times it felt better but no perfect as the day before, but I forged on. As we arrived at Cowhorn Pond, the rain had stopped so we headed to the lean-to and lee re-lite the fire the boys had left. The fire dried us and the skies cleared. This is another great spot, wide open for many tents and I failed to mention that both lean-tos where freshly redone. I read the ADK book and wrote a note in it. Down the trail we go. Lee pointing out all the ponds and giving “whats coming up details”.. Like your personal guide. Lee was an easy going funny, humorous, and goodtime guy all along the trail with both our sense of humors that clicked. I had mentioned attacking Cat Mtn. when getting to the junction, but timing and my legs would make it wait another time. We where headed to High Rock for our last night and also to meet up with Ducttape. From here Lee had told me about this ridge we would be walking on while headed to High Falls, he called it an esker or something like that. Explaining that it was a deposit from the glaciers from what he had read. Soon we arrived at High Falls where I had planned on meeting Ducttape or in this area so we would not miss each other. First thing I did was de-boot and stick my feet in the waters…AAHHHHH. Water was so cold but felt great. Even zipped off the pants and washed up abit along with my head. Talked to a couple who where portaging down stream and took the time for some great pics, food,water and rest in the sun. My foot didn’t feel good in the boots still so I left the right boot off and strapped on my sandal with my gaiter. Gave it a small test and felt nothing of the pain…SWEET!! Well knowing we still needed to reach High Rock we packed up and headed out.. No sooner than we started A long renegade appears. I say…”Are you Ducttape”? “YUP!” Cool!! I or Lee had never met him either. We chatted it up along the next 5 miles or so to High Rock where my one one foot stayed dry and the other got wet but was not feeling sore. Finally our last night in the wilderness…It was now 5pm. High Rock..Another just beautiful place to camp along the Oswegatchie River. After back and forth thoughts we decided to tent up top where the breeze was better in hope that the Bugs would be better. Lee the firebug got a fire going after setting up camp along with another nap for us both, not sure if Russ laid down..After awaking I noticed half dozen bees flying around my tent..I’ve seen this before. Ground Bees looking for there hole which was covered by my tent fly as it was off while napping. While cooking dinner, Russ spotted a brave chipmunk near Lees food bag. As Lee headed that way , the chipmunk thought it to be a good place to hide and in he jumped, right in to the bag, LOL. Lee just picked up the bag and he Zipped out.. Got some dinner and chatted by the fire for a bit. I was bushed!! Lee was the first to say goodnight around 8ish maybe. I was not far behind.. I lay in the tent facing the sunset taking pics of my last night on this adventure reliving the past few days events. What pleasure I had gotten out of this trip. The people, the sites the atmosphere…unbelievable.. Just after dark I think the coyotes made there past thru camp right by my tent on a gallop. I sit and listen to all the animals chitter chatter thru the darkness…It could not get any better…Off to bed with a smile from ear to ear.. Morning brought the coldest temperatures yet. Fog over the Valley I overlook for about an hour before the sun burned it off. Coffee, food, fire and packing. This morning we are ready some bit earlier so we headed out around 7:30am. Had to pack the tent wet due to the dew, no biggee.. Today the foot felt better so I tried the boot again and didn’t get far. Switched back to the sandal and burning up the trail. Again, the bugs where not up or around and we enjoyed many miles of head net free hiking.. It was a long a boring walk to wanakena where Ducttape had his car. I had planned to not continue due to my condition of my foot. Lee had been on trail already and had enough. We both road to our cars and said goodbyes to Russ. Now I was thinking..what about my other boots….I put them on and the pain I had felt for 10+ miles in those boots was gone. No rubbing….Change of plans Lee…Please Drop me off at wanakena I am finishing…..that he did and by 12:03pm Monday I completed the thu Hike.. Just like it had started, I returned to the lodge and cleared the dirt from the trail with 2 Long trails…One for me and One for Lee!!  WOW!!! I had just spent 3 nights/4 days experiencing the remote backcountry of Cranberry Lakes finest sites…all on foot….The whole way home I was daydreaming about the trip.. Thank you all for one of the greatest times in life… It was my pleasure to meet al the new people I did. I’m sure it won’t be the last time I see them…Right Guys!!!  I hope I didn’t miss anything, I’m sure I did but I will never forget.. Pics can be seen at the link under my photos.

Viewseeker :D

HEYYYYYY! Sounds like a blast, man. I'm glad you had such a great time. That part about the chipmunk was quite funny! :D

Sorry to hear about everyone else dropping out, but hey, it gives them a great reason to return in the future.

Congrats on finishing the whole thing! What a great, successful journey for you. Hike on, my friend!

P.S. Nice new avatar! Dr. Wu will be proud.

P.P.S. Now to check out those photos!

Last edited: