Crawford Path to Lakes of Clouds Down Edmund (3/18/06)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueZ

Reaction score
First, I planned to join giggy's team for jefferson. I was not sure, so I didn't notice them. ;) then they changed plan, and sure I didn't find them in the Bowan parking lot. :D Solo hiking castle trail is the last thing i want to do in winter. Since Crawford Path was in my mind for quite a while, I decided to do it.

Drived to the Highland Center. Parked @ mt. clinton road. Start hiking @ 8:30am. Hikng up Crawford path under the treeline before Mt. Pierce like a breeze. It was a good warmup for the big hike. Didn't feel cold at all, and the wind is mininal thanks to the protection from the tree. Once above treeline, it was very difficult story --- very windy, cold. and the trail became icy. Summited Pierce quickly. Foggy, Willey Range is visible, but very vaguely. Then, backtrack to the crawford trail junction, to Mount Eisenhower Loop. It was very windy at this point. The visibility was low, but no problem for hiking, I can even see very faint image of North Presi (? not sure). After passed mount Frankline, I reached lower end of the Mount Monroe Loop, then Monore summit. At this point, the visibility is very low, maybe only 50 feet. I can't see mt. Washington, can't see Hut, Lake. I can only see the next carine. Anyway, I was still thinking of mt. Washington, so I kept going by following the cairne.

The adventure started now. After summited monroe, I hiked down, then started going up. I though I reach the bottom of the summit cone, now the climbing is some section on the way to the hut. but then, the slope became downhill, and relatively steep. I was confused, I can't remeber there is such steep section on the way to hut. I have been to Mt. monroe 2 times before this hike. All in good weather conditions. I forgot there are 2 peaks of Monroe. In fact, I was on the way climbing up and down the first small peak. in a clear day, this is not a problem. However, in a situation you can't see anything execept the next carine, and many times, the cairne is very difficult to tell because of the rime ice, I was very confused. I know dry river trail is around this region, which will lead to Okes gulf. That is the last place I want to go. In such situation, compass would solve the confusion. I had 3 compasses, but I just lost one last week, but I still have two with me. I took the first one, a traditional orienting compass. Found it was just broken, the oil was leaked, a couple of bubbles around the needle. I took out the electronic one. It was too cold, the LCD doesn't work ...

Now I was a little worried. The visibility was too low, I can't see anything, even mt. monroe from which I came from. I decided to follow the carines religiously. then I took a small rest to put crampon on. I was lazy to wear crampon in the beginning. (in fact, I barefoot all the way to the mt. Monroe summit .... I should have put it on earlier) Now I can't afford my attention to my footing instead of the carines. The carines in that region is not great. I think the reason is in good weather, you don't really need these carines. everything is so straightforword. Protecting alpine veges has even higher priority. however in situation like this, cairns save your life. I lost the trail a couple of times. wandering around her was not a good idea. So I traced back to the last carine I remembered, look for clues for sure next step. After all thes ordeal, I saw a sign, it was the junction between Mt. Monroe loop and Crowford Path. relaxed ... but I was not sure which juntion it is because of my wandering. My instinct told me the hut is just around the coner. some signs about "dont' enter the protected vegatation" proved my guess: I was on the hut side of the crawford path. I still could not see anything around me, except icy rocks. Then I asked myself "Do I still summit Mt. Washington?", Why do so? there is no view on the summit, and it is already 2pm. and If I summit, I may back via Jewell, Not a great idea in bad weather either. and walking back from Base Station to Highland center is BORING. I have been to mt. Washington summit many times, including winter. so not today." Then I turned around at this point, tracked back crawford path to the juntion with Edmond Path. On the way I looked back to the direction of Mt. Washington, only black clouds, nothing visible. Down from Edmund, then walked mt. clinton road to parking.

A good day-hike from AMC highland center to Lakes of the Clouds. I learned something.
I had enough daylight time, I didn't feel tired, and I was not panic at that embarassing moment. I kept moving and techniqically, I never lost the trail. Otherwise, it could be a disater above treeline with low visibility. The calmness and strength saved me.
Electonic anything is not reliable in bad weather.
Don't hike solo above treeline in bad winter weather.
I am thinking of an accident around the Lake Hut in the book "Not Without Peril". the author explained the big wind causes the victim veered off the crawford path. After experiencing the similar situation, I think it is because of low visibility, not because of the big wind. the victim must have tried hard to look around, but he could see nothing except similar looking rocks.

Hike safe.

crawford.jpg

The same region in my fall trip, Weather matters!

crawford3.jpg

Last edited:
hey bluez - good call - it was a tough day up there with the cold and the visablity was some of the worse I personally have seen up there in a while, with temps below zero - no need to play games. good call. the cairns on the crawford path after lakes heading up the cone - can be very tricky in conditions like that. you made a good call. I had been on the gulfside many many times and we still got confused for a time up high.

I had no idea you were planning to come with us? Had I known that I would have got your cell or something and let you know of the change in plans. :D

giggy said:
I had no idea you were planning to come with us? Had I known that I would have got your cell or something and let you know of the change in plans. :D

giggy, I was not sure if I can get to the trailhead on time since I drove from Boston in the morning. who knows what could happy in the road. ;)
I don't want you wait for me. I'm a considerate person. :D

But next time, definately I will get your cell no. Don't want to hike solo above treeline in bad weather any more. :eek:

Oh, BTW, if you have any big hike, like presi traverse, let' me know. I will not be your burden. :) Plus, I don't think I am able to walk back from the end to the beginning after the hike without a spotted car. :eek:

Last edited: