Crockers, Redington & Snow Mt. -- June 4 & 5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison ivy

Reaction score
MichaelJ, BobandGeri & I started the weekend with a hike up Snow Mt., (Chain of Ponds) on Saturday and were joined by MEB for a hike over the Crockers & Redington on Sunday. Pictures from both days can be found here

Saturday: We decided on a rather late start time and met up at the Cathedral Pines at 9 a.m., which got us to the trailhead and ready to hike by 10 a.m. It was hot and muggy, which gave me a heat-related headache pretty much right away as we headed up the logging roads toward the summit of Snow Mt. On the good side, it was a very easy hike, we had tons of time to relax and there wasn’t any snow to contend with at all.

We quickly reached Snow Mountain Pond after walking up the very muddy logging road and found a nice group fishing. They drove up to the pond with their canoes fastened on racks to the top of their ATVs. It was a pretty little pond, but I resisted swimming to avoid scaring off the fish.

From there, the route took us off the road to a trail, which was steep in one or two places -- one tricky spot required a small bit of scrambling but otherwise was fairly straight forward. We arrived at the summit after two hours of hiking. We all climbed up the ladder for the fire tower, but found the cab scary looking. It was tilted, had boards that were clearly rotted out and missing, so we decided against climbing inside it. We still had fantastic views, spent plenty of time lounging at the summit and checked another peak off the New England Hundred Highest list to boot.

Sunday: Joined by Mary Ellen, we had a plan to head up South Crocker, bushwhack over to Redington and back, and then continue following the AT over North Crocker to Route 27. This is now in the category of “What was I thinking?” Actually, the trip wasn’t all that bad but I had problems with pain in my feet long before our miles were done.

The first mile up from Caribou Valley Road and up to Crocker Cirque Campsite was pretty easy and passed fairly quickly, even at my pace. With just a few more minutes, we were up above the cirque and on the edge of a slide with fantastic views of the Bigelows and Sugarloaf, as well as North Crocker. It was really steep and really hot so we took our time making it to the summit of South Crocker. MichaelJ, in particular, was suffering from the heat and considered staying on the South Crocker for a nap while the rest of us headed over to Redington (as he had been there before by a different route.)

After a snack break and some convincing, Michael agreed to bushwhack over to Redington with us, lured by MEB’s terrific chocolate chip cookies. The herd path from the summit outlook was very discernable and Bob & Geri had followed the route before so they lead on. Occasionally, we’d lose the herd path and have to push our way through trees and scrub, but it was not particularly thick or difficult. We all came away with quite a collection of cuts -- Bob winning the prize for the worst scrape after scratching the back of his leg on a log.

We realized we were off track and headed too far to the right after a quick compass check and corrected our course. Within about five minutes, we found ourselves in the clearing only a little bit off the herd path. Crossing the clearing we headed up the skidder road and it was an easy walk to the summit. We celebrated by signing the register and relaxing in the sun for lunch. After our break, we headed back down the col and up to South Crocker’s summit again. It seemed a lot easier bushwhacking uphill and our three-mile detour ended quickly. While everyone else said the bushwhack was really easy compared to others they have done, but I found it tough -- guess I’m not cut out to be a bushwhacker! I told Michael that if I were him, I would have definitely stayed on the South Crocker summit to wait for everyone’s return.

Once on South Crocker, we got back onto the AT and headed to North Crocker, which turned out to be an easy climb. As we started uphill, the sunny skies clouded over and it began pouring. I have never enjoyed a rainstorm so much! It cooled us off but wasn’t particularly windy so it made for perfect hiking conditions. We were fortunate to have finished the bushwhack before the rain too.

Upon reaching the summit, Mary Ellen & I spotted a spruce grouse walking around near the summit sign. In the race to get the cameras back out of the packs, we missed him. However, Bob, upon arriving, thought I said there was a moose on the summit and went looking through the woods, confused he couldn’t hear any crashing until we explained it was a much smaller animal!

The skies had cleared for our summit pictures but the rain came back and thunder rumbled as we prepared for the next 5 miles of the hike. I was worried about hiking with the metal trekking poles and for once was at the front of the pack. However, after a mile or so my feet started pounding and I once again fell to the back of the line. I used cheap hiking socks instead of my regular Smartwools and ,boy, did I pay for that decision. Every step was pretty much agony, even though last weekend I hiked the same amount miles with a full backpack and didn’t have a problem!

Geri kindly kept pace with me for the long hike down North Crocker. We passed lots of pretty hobblebush and trillium, did battle with a bazillion black flies and mosquitoes and finally made it out to Route 27 at 5:10 p.m. Overall, it was a great but exhausting hike!!

I have so many numbers in my head, I can't remember the tallies for everyone else. (Sorry!!) But this puts me at 63/67 for the New England Fours & 71/100 for the New England Hundred Highest.
-Ivy

Last edited:
Hi Amy :)

Nice trip report once again, sounds like your bushwack to Reddington made for an interesting day :eek: ! But hey it is done! :D

I waved to you too. I now have pics posted in my thread, all in all it was an awesome weekend for hiking!

nice report, looks like it was fun. i like snow mt because it is so remote, you might as well be in canada, and half the fun is just finding the trail head. and any hikes from the caribou valley road are lots of fun and great views, especially going up sugarloaf, totally different experience than the ski resort side of the mt

Good report Amy!

I'll get my pics and info up later tonight, along with the "name that butt" contest, but need to correct you on one item - it was you that kept Geri company on the trip from North Crocker to Rte 27 (otherwise known as the sectin from Hell). You are a much faster hiker that you give yourself credit for.

It was a fun 2 days of hiking in summer weather - many times I kept wishing it was still Winter.

Yes, another great day in the mountains spent with great people! I was soooo happy to find hardly any snow on the trails.....and my feet stayed dry for the entire trip!! No more swamp feet for me! Not only did we see the spruce grouse on N Crocker but we also saw a bunny coming down. For a while it looked like he was going to come right up to us but then he darted of the trail.

Amy, another wonderful trip report and pics...I hope your feet are feeling better today.

-MEB

My father, Chester and I made the same trip from South Crocker over to Redington yesterday also. We must have been just ahead of you. We were at the top of Redington at about 12:30. Maybe you saw our footprints in the snow or mud along the way.

My father maintains the section of AT from CVR to 1.8 miles north of North Crocker and we spent Saturday cutting blowdowns, trimming back the brush and cleaning out the waterbars the best we could. Sunday we parked further up the road and bushwacked up to the top of South Crocker then over to Redington, down the cut trail and walked the road back. We couldn't ask for much better weather over the weekend and still very few bugs.

That's quite a mess on top of Redington...looks like someone cut all the trees off about 2 feet high and then you have the twisted remains of the tower too. The trail is cut straight down to the logging roads too. This could be a nice, remote peak but I have to say it's one of my least favorite ones.

Yellow Dog - We thought it looked some some fresh trail work. Thank You!

Yes - we saw the foot prints - you must have been about 30 minutes in front of us going up to Redington. Hope they clean-up the mess of the tower!

Great trip report Ivy - if w*rk stays quiet for a while I'll be checking out the pics- sure to be good :)

Bob

Great pics Ivy! I just love the "Sunrise on Saturday" one. Gorgeous!

Bob

Hey-hey! Great pics, everyone. Let me include mine from Snow Mtn. and the Crockers & Redington as well.

So since I'm still about 2 weeks behind in, well, everything, let me just throw out random comments about another fabulous weekend of hiking.

Doing 5-10mph from exit 15 to exit 21 on the Maine Turnpike truly, truly sucked. Why they insisted on merging the 3 lanes to 2 instead of using the breakdown lane for a hundred yards to keep all 3 lanes going is beyond me, and poor traffic management.

I almost got eliminated by a moose while driving on Carrabassett Valley Road.

Arriving at Cathedral Pines and setting up in the dark has an almost prehistoric feeling, one that is only slightly diminished in the daylight. This is an incredible campground, and the lake shore sites, with their views to the Bigelows, can't be beat.

The mosquitoes at Cathedral Pines were clearly the inspiration for being the state "bird" of Maine.

The campground's resident piliated woodpecker is one incredible bird. Wow. First time I've seen one in flight come and land close up and flex its wings. I ached for not having the camera with me.

Chain of Ponds Snow was a totally different feel than any other climb I've done. And until I actually get a summit in Baxter, it's the most northern. Talk about a "there's nothing out there" feel.

The fire tower cab is definitely in a state of structural distress. The floor boards are giving way and one corner of the cab is collapsing down onto the tower framing. Hopefully when it goes, nobody will be injured, and the tower itself will remain stable, as it only takes a few steps up the ladder to get great views.

I was not prepared for the heat - only last weekend it was cold and rainy! Dehydration really sucked, but enjoying dinner in the bug-free comfort of Bob & Geri's camper (including a showing of "48") was the way to recuperate.

I wore my new boots. They kept my feet dry and comfy. Getting Asolo's in "wide" was definitely the right move. It was difficult to toss my old boots away - they did so many of the 48, including my finish, with me. But they had to go; it was time to move on.

It's really hard to wake up at 6am at home. When the sun reflects across a lake with the Bigelows behind, shining into your tent (and superheating it), it's very easy to wake up. Then you step outside and get eaten alive by the mosquitoes.

The whole way up South Crocker (nay, for days preceding) I joked that I would stay up on the summit and nap while everyone went to Redington, since I'd already been there. I chose to go over with everyone for the experience. I chose poorly. Even Amy felt afterward that I should have just relaxed up top and avoided the plethora of scratches and bleeding that we all got. It was fun, though. Really. You should do it.

I think we wrote the wrong dates in the register, and that we must have missed GO on Redington by mere hours, not by a day.

It was unnerving to be on North Crocker with thunder. It's a good thing it wasn't an exposed summit, or I would have had an adrenaline overload.

I don't know what came over me, but I *booked* down the 5+ miles to the road in only 2:28. Mary Ellen kept up; that's no surprise. I almost killed Bob, though. Sorry, dude. I just wanted out from the bugs.

I've driven home 3 times this year from the Sugarloaf area. All 3 times have involved extended stretches of driving in the pouring rain. Hmm...

I now have 60/67, and 65/100. Now for a bit of rest before the Bigelows.
:D

Sounds like you guys had an awesome trip! Wish I had the time to join you guys. Sheesh!

Maybe next time. Good to see MJ smiling too. :)

See you all Saturday!

A little more than two months and I will be up there following your footsteps. Can't wait. I have a group of six as it stands now. Hope the weather gods will be in my favor then. As some of you know, I will be doing that same Crocker hike in the reverse (southbound AT) direction. Any special advice on how to stay on the herd path from South Crocker over to Reddington? I am antsy but I hope the bugs will be gone by then. It was fun reading your report and another great hike under your belt or boots or butts or whatever. OH, and is the Penobscot Indian sign on ME 27 clearly visible to make the left turn in for the Snow Mt. Hike as I am led to believe? How far in can I go with a regular vehichle?

Last edited:
Yes - the Penobscot Indian sign on ME 27 is very visable but set back 10 - 15 feet from the highway. You can drive all the way to the trail head in a regular car - the road is well graded.

For Redington - the herd path is mostly visable - if you loose it stop and go bacdk to the last place you were on it and look around a bit - if anything stay to the left.

The herd path is easy to follow to Redington. Picking it back up from the logged area to come back may require a little more effort (or forethought).

One note: where it hits the cleared AT corridor boundary, it goes directly across. Don't turn.

It's a *long* way up going southbound - the trail just traverses and winds. It's not bad in any way (unless the bugs are out), but it will take a while with full packs to get up to North Crocker.

You'll enjoy it!

Oh, I also forgot to mention the rabbit. Coming down N. Crocker a good-sized one came running up the trail at me. That came as a bit of a shock. He turned right around, went down a few steps, turned, and came back up. Stopped, looked at me for a moment, then went off into the woods.

And of course I smile! Wouldn't you???? ;)

Last edited:
Great pics Mary Ellen - now who was going to give who camera lessons? :)

Bob