Cross Country Sking Garden to John's Brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fior1212

Reaction score
Is it possible to xc ski from the Garden to John's Brook. What is the terrain like? Is it steep?

It is certainly possible depending on conditions and your skiing ability. There are a few hills that would probably scare a beginner but for the most part it is pretty mellow. I wonder how conditions would be right now with the warm days we've had. Maybe someone that has been there in the past week will jump in.

Like Rik, I don't know the current conditions but it has a few ups and downs that are a little steep. When skiing into that area I've taken the South Side trail that crosses John's Brook after 1/4 mile or so. It's a little steep getting down to the brook but pretty gradual as I think it's a jeep trail or something from the old days. It has only one spot that we found unskiable for our pathetic abilities. It is also more likely to have some snow on it and not be a "sidewalk". Of course if the brook is open forget it.The trails I've skiied (like the Garden trail)tended to be hard packed and too fast for my abilities and I've had good luck with skins and leaving them on up and down the hills.