Dak Black Fly Update - w/e 6/21-6/22

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indihiker

Reaction score
Hi:

Any predictions on Black Flies for this coming weekend (6/20-6/21)? We'll be hiking Alongquin and would like to know if we should invest head nets.

Bring 'em

I just hiked Algonquin this past weekend from the Loj. (We were headed for Wright, but the trail sign is missing, so we missed the turn.) The black flies were pretty bad on the trail. The summit was better, but only because it was breezy. The summit steward said the day before, it was calm and the black flies were horrible. My son and brother wore their head nets for the whole hike.

Bring a net.

Black flies in the mountains... NO WAY... personnally I have never seen ONE.... :D

Just keep moving........

Viewseeker said:
They are only $9.00 at ems and they cant get thru....Never leave home without one this time of year...oh and your deet!!!

Funny - I first read this as EMS was SELLING blackflies at $9 a piece!

I grew up in swampy Manitoba, Canada and biting insects were always a way of life. I don't mean that we used to bight insects. They bit, or stung, us.

Which means that now I find it difficult to objectively judge the degree of severity of the winged devils. Yesterday, I had a fair number of them getting in behind my glasses and bighting the corners of my eyes. I took a lot of hits on my calves and thighs while climbing the Blake Slide and they were swarming a lot on Colvin (enough to resort to the headnet that I borrowed and never gave back to Hillman) but I really don't know if they were all that bad or not.

Sometimes they're there and sometimes not. Sometimes they bother you and sometimes they don't. For sure they'll be gone come November.

OK - so i'm going to get headnets...

- but what about my hands? (sorry if this sounds like a silly question - we've been hiking the catskills for years and decided to finally do a weekend UP state)

my only experience with blackflies was about 10 years ago in the UP of michigan. I still have nightmares. And this time I'll be w/ my girlfriend who might be worse than the black flies if the black flies are bad :)

Neil--keep the headnet--I still carry 3 in my pack when I hike. If that seems dumb, try bushwacking in one. A few tears, and it is time to switch up. Headnets saved my relationship on a thruhike of the NPT about 2 weeks ago...They are priceless in the Adirondacks. You can find them for about $1 at walmart. Not endorsing big box stores here, just cheap headnets. If I didn't bushwack, I would buy a nicer one.

by,by bugs

I hear there is the new spray that is good for your body by, by bugs or something like that..at least you could spray on your hands and not worry about eatting thedeet later..its like those candles they burn. Stay on the move... :D I did C-W-S last yr. , the bugs bothered some but thinking not as bad as the dacks.

black flies weren't bad!

well, we made it to the top of algonquin and back - with no bites (not even a single mosquito). so, perhaps the black flies are gone. despite getting rained on 3 times, the views at the top were incredible.