Deja Vu

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ADK4Life said:
Gatineau is such a boring park. In my opinion the Luskville trail is the best for a workout. I used to always ascend King mountain trailess from every viewpoint, sometimes it was pretty tuff for its hieght.

It's not as exciting as the ADK's but I can be there in 15 minutes after work. Luskville or the Wolf trail are the best. Awesome cross country skiing trails.

-Shayne

Neil said:
I know someone who has done the ADK 46 70 times.
I go up Mount Royal (500 vert gain, 5 mile loop) from my office 3 times a week.

Is it that much 500 ft? I did that once. Then a few days later I listened to a Yankee broadcast. It was Phil Ruzzito that will suggest how long ago. He described how he went up Mt Royal one day and made it sound like it was equal to doing the Matterhorn. I was in stitches listening to this guy who thought it was a steep difficult climb. I didn't know it was five hundred feet but knew it wasn't much.

I am looking at Mount Royal right now from the 16th floor in my office builing. It rises a fair bit from the actual floor of downtown but the hike is walk in the park. Mont Saint Hillare is the best littl hike in the area, lots of off trail scrambling to be had.

i find it mostly boring to do the same hike over and over again. Mostly i do the same ones because i am close to them, and i need to get a work out. Being in the camden hills, there are about 5 hikes that are a easy to moderate workout, and i have done them all many times just to stay in shape and expend some energy.

The exception is katahdin, bigelow, and sugarloaf. I have done those all at least 5 times just because i love those mts. I have repeated many acadia hike as well, because they are all beautiful. And by the way, it looks like the precipice trail is now open in Acadia, so i will have to go do that one again.

ExploreTheEast said:
I've hiked the Red Dot trail to the top of Mt Tammany in the Delaware Water Gap somewhere between 20 and 30 times. It's just such a great view from the top, especially in fall, and it's close to home.

Yeah, I've climbed it at least 50 times, but then again it's only 10 minutes from home. :rolleyes:

I've climbed less than half of the 4000 footers in the Whites, but have climbed Washington 4 times - - - via Tuckerman's, Huntington's, Ammonoosuc, and coming from the Gulfside after climbing Clay, Jefferson, Adams, and Madison.

A friend is climbing Washington at this very moment. Unless the fog clears, I guess there's little chance of seeing him on the summit cam ...... :D

I've summited Washington 16 times and 18 others I have 10 or more ascents. I enjoy both exploring new trails and repeating old ones, especially in different seasons or in different weather. I just hiked Mt Monroe four days apart and had totally different experiences due to the weather differences. Time and spacial relationships will alter your experience.

JohnL

But it is never deja vu all over again

I like hiking more than driving so I often reclimb nearby favorite mountains. As others have mentioned, there is something new to be seen every time out. Different seasons, weather, time of day, water volume at waterfalls, trails, bushwhack routes, etc. Even if the route is the same I see and look for different wildlife, plants, and historical artifacts. It is always good. When you see a good sunset or rainbow starting it is an advantage be on a familiar trail so you can get yourself to a good point to enjoy it.

Overlook in the Catskills is about 15 minutes from my house, and I have climbed it about 50 times. Several other Catskill peaks I have climbed 20-30 times. A good mountain never gets old unless you let it.

I just got negative feedback for this comment

"I am looking at Mount Royal right now from the 16th floor in my office builing. It rises a fair bit from the actual floor of downtown but the hike is walk in the park. Mont Saint Hillare is the best littl hike in the area, lots of off trail scrambling to be had."

I hope the person that gave this feedback would explain to me why.

AntlerPeak said:
Is it that much 500 ft? I did that once. Then a few days later I listened to a Yankee broadcast. It was Phil Ruzzito that will suggest how long ago. He described how he went up Mt Royal one day and made it sound like it was equal to doing the Matterhorn. I was in stitches listening to this guy who thought it was a steep difficult climb. I didn't know it was five hundred feet but knew it wasn't much.
Believe it or not I actually checked it on my gps and its more like 450 from my office but would be 500 from the downtown core. There is a scree slope going straight up the east side that rises 300 vertical and that is a great little workout. There is a staircase (under repair now)that climbs up the South side and there are always lots of tourists huffing and wheezing there way up.

Sorry if someone was irritated by this mountain that lies outside of the NE taking up bandwidth.

Pharaoh Lake 6 to 8 times. Nice Place and I like it to bring folks there as a first trip.

I always prefer a new place to somewhere I've been before, but I certainly return to places I've been and redo old walks.

ADK4Life said:
I just got negative feedback for this comment

"I am looking at Mount Royal right now from the 16th floor in my office builing. It rises a fair bit from the actual floor of downtown but the hike is walk in the park. Mont Saint Hillare is the best littl hike in the area, lots of off trail scrambling to be had."

I hope the person that gave this feedback would explain to me why.

Are ya near Mcgill? I wouldn't get too offended by that person, i got a big red one for posting a trip report. Not sure how it was offensive, maybe they were offended by the words"sunshine, vertical, hot, climb, or trail"? who knows

Last edited:
ADK4Life said:
Gatineau is such a boring park.

When it's 100 yards from your front door, you tend to take advantage of it often.

Its gentle rolling hardwood forests, loaded with swamps, are great training grounds for map & compass work. Also cycling the park loop gives almost 3000 feet of climbing.

Depends on what kind of training you're looking for.

And keeping with this thread.. Marcy over 20 times, well, just because I tend to climb it every year or so. Dix, Street And Nye 2-3 times a year, because I maintain those trails.

Last edited:
I also enjoy both new trails and repeats. Since most of my hiking right now is with the kids (my youngest are 3 and 5) I only take them on trails that I have been on and know what to expect. I am not very good at keeping track of times for each mountain but some of my favorites like Osceala, Pierce, Carter Dome and Washington are several times.

I tend to take new routes each time but I have my favorites i.e., climbed Jeff via Caps Ridge 6-7 times. Living where I am now (midwest) has limited my options plus gimpy knees. In an earlier life, when I lived In Mass., I could hike and XC ski right out of my home which adjoined a state forest. Probably did those trails over 100 times. Out here, I have just many memories and a couple trips a year to the "whites". You guys are lucky...

hey don't diss 'mount' royal. it's all we've got!

gatineau park is where I started hiking. it's nice and close to the city, so I can see why people enjoy going there. gotta love meech lake too.
personally, if I lived in ottawa and wanted to go hiking, I'd rather drive an hour or so to one of the many provincial parks in the area (for flat hikes anyway). but if you just want to work out in a non-urban setting, then gat park is the way to go.

back to the topic - I've done washington the most. I have a love/hate relationship with huntington ravine. it gets my blood pumping, offers great views and always manages to scare me at least a bit. it has also helped me gain more scrambling experience, which was definitely a big help when I encountered loose class 3 terrain on my recent trip to california.
I like to discover new peaks whenever possible and tend to avoid repeats, but huntington is a definite fave.