Deja Vu

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikeritz

Reaction score
What's your record for hiking the same route or returning to the same destination? Given the opportunity, would you climb Monadnock every day for eight years as Larry Davis did or do you avoid repeating hikes? I only get out a handful of times each year so I tend to look for new places to explore. Still, I returned to the late, sorely missed Desolation Shelter seven times...my record for one destination (though I only got there via the same route twice).

I'm not sure about records but I've continue to go back to Bondcliff, Carrigain, and the northern presidentials. I definitely enjoy the solitude and vvft I've gotten on the top of Bondcliff. I have one more 4,000 footer to go (Isolation) but have found I'm repeating peaks rather than finishing off my list (I guess I'm in no hurry). There are plenty of peaks I want to repeat to get better vvft.

I never want to do the same thing twice. That doesn't apply to peaks, but it definitely does to routes and itineraries. Part of my reason for not wanting to repeat is that life is too short and there's too much to do to do the same thing over and over. The other part is that in my experience it's rare to do something again in an attempt to recreate the thrill of the first time around. Usually it's just not the same. That applies to a lot of things besides mountains.

So, I have no "repeat" records. I have, on the other hand, been on just about every trail in the presidentials, for example.

I tend to go looking for new routes. There's just so much out there. I like not knowing what's around every corner. I've repeated peaks in the Winter, as it feels like a different hike with all the snow.

I don't usually watch movies more than once either...

-Shayne

I've been busy pursuing lists and AT section hiking so I don't do a whole lot of repeats. There are lots of mountains I want to go back to though!

Right now, Franconia Ridge is my most hiked trail... and Little Haystack, Lincoln and Liberty are tied with Jefferson as my most hiked mountain. On Jefferson, I've hiked different routes in one direction and usually take Caps Ridge in the other, which is one of my all-time favorite trails.

- Ivy

I used to do an annual trip up Mt. Chocorua. I've hiked that mountain 10 times, 8 of them on the Champney Falls trail. There's a few mountains I've climbed 3 or 4 times, and some I've done twice.

These days I like to explore areas I haven't hiked to before so I can find new views and experiences.

Moosilauke summit, about 150 times over the past 25 years. But I use to live and work on the mountain, climbing it many times a week for a summer.

Probaby next on the list would be Lafayette, Madison, or Pierce, at somewhere over a dozen each.

Lately I've been trying to find interesting new routes to familiar places, or new places to go, but I have great fun going back to places I've been with new people. Each hike is different, even if it covers the same stretch of trail.

-dave-

I've only been hiking a few years, so my repeat record is pretty modest. Record for a mountain is Mt. Washington (5 times, but only 3 times all the way to the summit) and Huntington Ravine for the trail most repeated (3 times).

I know I should get out and explore more but some of the trails and mountains I've done have been so much fun that I can't help going back for seconds. :D
^MtnMike^

Last edited:
I've climbed Mt. Washington over 30 times since 1971 and even though I also like to explore other areas I don't think that repeating a peak once a year is too often.

I haven't gone overboard on any single peak, but I have done several peaks 6 - 10 times. I like to do new stuff, but I enjoy repeating stuff too. It is amazing how much you see that you missed the first, second, or third time around.

- darren

Mt Adams "50"

I am working on my "Mt Adams 50" list....but I lost track somehwere around low forties.....
Madison is next by default from staying at Madison Hut nearly every year for last 15 or so years.

I don't always take the same routes up, in fact I finally plan the King Ravine route with AMC in a week which is nearly the last possible route left for me to do to get there!
I have off-trail cross-country trekked (rock hopped) the entire ridges to all other Adams peaks (5 total) between Jefferson & Madison as well.
Great country. :)

Jeff

Interesting idea here which got me thinking and researching as my interest is to find new places and trails. With that said my list of multiple hikes rather surprised me.

Algonquin ( ADK ) 12 times

Avery + West Bigelow ( Maine ) 8 times

Antler Peak ( Wa Cascades ) 5 times

I've done Hunter 7 or 8 times (nearest 4K)

Pete Fish, a retired ranger from the ADKs, is still climbing and has done Mt. Marcy over 550 times! That is NOT a misprint! :eek:

Tom Rankin said:
I've done Hunter 7 or 8 times (nearest 4K)

Pete Fish, a retired ranger from the ADKs, is still climbing and has done Mt. Marcy over 550 times! That is NOT a misprint! :eek:

Tom Dr. Ketch, you know who I mean has numbers on algonquin similar to Pete's. Ketch is the one who dreamed up the seeding projects on Algonquin back in the 70's I think it was.

I know someone who has done the ADK 46 70 times.
I go up Mount Royal (500 vert gain, 5 mile loop) from my office 3 times a week.

I have hiked on Mansfield countless of times, on a weekly basis throughout much of the year, though many times I have not summited or have hiked to the Nose or the Forehead. Only two connector trails remain to be hiked. These are mostly midweek, evening hikes.

On weekend or vacation day hikes, I prefer to vary it up.

If its local hikes then yeah it's countless times. I've been going to Gatineau Park my entire life. But if I'm going to travel a decent distance for a hike I mix it up.

-Shayne