digital camera question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gris said:
Lens is most important. Also try to get some optical zoom, at least 3-4x, preferrably 6-10x. Finally, unless you have a very steady hand, get one with a gyro (stabilization). I have an old Olympus 2100UZ two MP with a 10x or is it 12x, optical zoom and stablization - it takes outstanding pics. Ya can't go wrong with Olympus or Cannon digitial IMO. The cannon 6.0 dig rebel rocks (but is a heavy camera). :)

I've had 3 Olympus cameras, all of which I have been very satisfied with. Besides taking great pictures, they are very sturdy, which is essential for a "hiking" camera. I used a D460 for over 3 years, and just sold it on Ebay. The C2100Z is an excellent camera and the IS is amazing! It is a bit bulky for hiking though. The D560 is the perfect size, but is notoriously hard to focus in low light. It does have a quick recovery for the next shot though.
I would rcommend a camera with AA battery power, since they are always available. Lithiums are, at this point, proprietary, so every manufacturer uses a different one, and you can find it impossible to get a replacement "in the wild"!

Fred

Recently i purchased a Casio Z50. I paid about $300 for it. It's five mp; it has a macro mode, it has voice recording feature for adding notes on photos, it has a two inch lcd and nice zoom. I printed pics from it, usng Ofoto.com service. I did standard 4x6's and 5x7's. Both came out very well. I could not tell the difference between film and digital formats.

It's a tiny camera, smaller than Nikons or Canons. I have used a variety of film cameras high up; I have been considering purchasing either a 4x5 or an 8x10 (inches) or a pinhole can camera, for the really best shots. Adirondack photographers Carl Heilman II and Nathan Farb use large format cameras. You know those posters you seei n the mountaineering stores -- views from Marcy, etc? They're 4x5's.

Anyway, this little digital fits in a pocket. Only con I can think of is the fact that the camera case is an optional accessory. But, no matter, as there are a lot of aftermarket ones. It's really a nice camera and I am looking forward to 8x10 and 11x14 blowups. It takes both xD (Max 512 mb) and SD (Max 1GB)media.

I avoided digital photography for years; I am very satisfied.

Moose

I'm using a Canon Powershot Pro1, and a Powershot G3 as a backup, but I have a different kind of experience that I want to share with you guys regarding printing your photos.

I don't know of anyone else that has used this service yet, but Walmart seems to be on the cutting edge of digital photo development. Check out how easy this is:

1. Go to http://www.walmart.com.
  2. Click on "Photo Center."
  3. Upload some digital photos.
  4. In 1 hour, go to your nearest Walmart store and pick them up!

I just used it for the first time last week, the print quality is great, it's cheap, you can print 2, you can print 20, it's almost instant gratification. You don't have to wait for photos to arrive in the mail or whatever. One hour and they're in your hands. They print up to 8 x 10's, and if your a Sams Club member, it's even cheaper.

Happy Developing!

Sorry, to answer your original question-- yes, 3 MP is good enough, as long as the camera you choose has great image detail and color reproduction. Can't recommend http://www.dpreview.com enough for extensive reviews on most digital cameras out there today.

With only 3 MP, you should be able to print photos as large as 5 x 7 inches crisp and clear. But I'd still recommend a 4 MP camera, if only to be prepared for your future needs. I've been shooting digital for more than 3 years now, and I just printed my first photos this month. I wanted one as an 8 x 10, a photo that I took with a 4 MP camera (the G3), and it looks SWEET.

What a great resource you all are! And I'm not even in the market for a camera.

However, I am in the market for a digital video camera and some that I've seen also produce good still pictures. Adk dib, would that be an option and does anyone have any experience with stills off digital camcorders?

Sony's Digital Camera DSC-W1

I am extremely satisfied with my Sony 5.1 megapixel digital camera. It has a large 2.5-inch LCD monitor, it uses rechargeable AA bateries, has a high quality Zeiss lens, is very compact and performs very well in the cold. The price isn't too bad, either: $339.99. Here's some of my hiking photos taken with it: http://community.webshots.com/user/emmjaegee

Stan said:
However, I am in the market for a digital video camera and some that I've seen also produce good still pictures. Adk dib, would that be an option and does anyone have any experience with stills off digital camcorders?
In the current marketplace, there is no digital video camera that will produce pictures of the same quality as the most basic digital still cameras. They can produce OK images, but nothing that will really satisfy you if you want to do more than use the images on the web or email.

Some still cameras can take excellent video, but again, it falls short of the zoom and capacity of a true digital video camera. How many cameras do you want to carry? :)

-dave-

Digital

I just purchased as a replacement for my Olympus camera a Fuji 4.0mp camera. The model is Finepix S5100. The camera sells for around $399 but Butteflyphoto in NYC has it for $300. This is where I bought mine and I did also add a UV lens (good for scratch protection) and a polarizer (for all the reasons previously cited). This camera has a 10X optical zoom and also does movie with sound.

I am not a professional photographer but after sharing this camera with a few who are they were very impressed with its capabilities and features.

Just a suggestion.

Outside of that, like with most entries to this forum, I agree with the sound advice from everyone - you are right this is a great resource.

filters on digital cameras

Most often, compact digital cameras use a threaded or bayonet-mount lens adapter that surrounds the telesoped lens and accepts a threaded filter or auxiliary lens. The S70 seems to use the LA-DC10 Conversion Lens Adapter to attach Canon's 200mm aux. lens. I don't know it this also accepts filters. You might want to check it out with a Canon dealer.

Polarizing Filter

The Fuji is distinctly SLR like and has adaptable lens fitting 52-55mm etc.

Good luck.