Dix Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyestreet

Reaction score
Looking for opinions as to the feasability of doing the Dixes via the East Dix slide, and returning to the fishermans trail from the col between Dix and Hough, THIS weekend (Saturday). I'm aware its a long day, and I've been up this route twice before in summer. Wondering if the north facing slide will be icy, and condition of herd paths on the ridge line. Are summits still sign posted? I plan on heading north back towards Rt. 73 from E. Dix while my much stronger son attempts to bag the other peaks. Thanks for any advice. John

Don't count on much of the snow melting this week: it has been snowing on Giant and RPR since this morning! Blowdown from the March ice-storm could slow you down along the Boquet herdapth as well, near the stone bridge there are lots of trees down but I don't know how far/deep into the valley the ice did damage, probably till the 2500' altitude if I judge by the few trails we visited the last three weeks. Damages vary greatly depending on the trails and the areas but when it's bad it's very bad.

nyestreet said:
Looking for opinions as to the feasability of doing the Dixes via the East Dix slide, and returning to the fishermans trail from the col between Dix and Hough, THIS weekend (Saturday). I'm aware its a long day, and I've been up this route twice before in summer. Wondering if the north facing slide will be icy, and condition of herd paths on the ridge line. Are summits still sign posted? I plan on heading north back towards Rt. 73 from E. Dix while my much stronger son attempts to bag the other peaks. Thanks for any advice. John

You might want to read THIS

Thanks for the replies, nice to have an idea what one is diving into. I'll show the report to my son and see if he's still game. John