Does anybody actually read the guide first?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time I hiked the Tripyramids, I arrived at the trail head and realized I'd forgotten to bring along my map. But because I'd read the description in the White Mountain guidebook so many times, I had no trouble hiking the trails, and even remembered about the Scaur Ridge Trail being an alternate route after I had given up on the North Slide route because the rocks were too wet for my comfort.

When I hiked Black Nubble and its subsidiary peak last week, I brought along a printout of gamehiker's and onestep's descriptions and consulted them countless times. I rarely bring along a book, but a sheet of paper is no problem.

DougPaul said:
However, judging by the number of questions asked here and on the AMC BBS that could be answered by a quick look at the guidebook, it would appear that there is a significant group that does not bother to do so...

Maybe we need a new acronym? RTFG (Read the Fine Guidebook). :)

Doug

Interesting.... I think that may be because the Fine Guidebook deals in facts. We come here looking for opinions. (e.g., What's the best way up Cabot? How high are the rivers today?)

bob

Not always, but mostly, especially in an area with which I am not very familiar.

I did run across someone once who did not read his guidebook. A man with a backpack approached a few of us at the summit of Garfield (we were individuals, not a group hike) asking where the nearest place was that he could overnight. I, and another person, pointed him toward Garfield Shelter. He left the summit. I later passed him at the spur trail, on my way over to Galehead (I was doing a longish day hike from Lincoln Woods - north via Franconia Ridge, returning south via 13 Falls). He said the spur trail to the shelter was too long for him to go all the way to the shelter, and did I know of anywhere else. Some short conversation revealed that he was planning to get out to Lincoln Woods the next day. I told him of 13 Falls. He asked me how far it was. I replied I wasn't sure but that it was much longer than the spur trail, then asked whether he had a guidebook or map. He did. He explained that his AMC WMG was brand new, and that he didn't want to open it. DOH!

I never thought to ask if he had a tent, since there's no shelter at 13 Falls. But then, if he'd opened his brand new guidebook, he'd've known that! Always wondered what happened to him.

I'll read the guidebook and check out the maps, but I usually carry photocopies of the relevant pages and blow-ups of the maps.

But if I want to know what the trail is really like, and what the "don't miss" parts are, I'll come here.

Reading this thread brings up a question about the necessity of guidebooks.

Since the first guidebooks, the quality of maps has greatly improved. So, there is less reliance on the detailed trail descriptions. Are they necessary anymore?

A guidebook would be much thinner if it just had trail mileages between interesections and features, hiking times. And a general description or recommendation.

Peaks said:
A guidebook would be much thinner if it just had trail mileages between interesections and features, hiking times. And a general description or recommendation.
I would prefer that. The guide is pretty chunky and when I look at it I see almost no value in the turn by turn descriptions - and a general description with possibly some interesting history or facts about that trail would be nice - a sort of quick reference pocket guide for the WMNF trails.
Which raises the question: Could anyone write a guide like that or would you have to go through the AMC?

DougPaul said:
Most of the responders are stating that they read the guidebooks.
i haven't read it - mine is still brand new - i bought it at EMS in albany quite a few years ago - made a few copies of each map on an 11x17 copy machine and use those copies of the maps for everything (i should have returned it and got my money back) my adirondack high peaks guide and map are like new too - - i have had people tell me that certain trails are tough according to the book, but when i got there i have never found any of them to be "tough" - - - - it doesn't really matter what the trail description is, or how steep, etc. - when you gotta go, you gotto go - so i just go...

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
Could anyone write a guide like that or would you have to go through the AMC?
anyone can write a guide - getting people to buy it is the hard part (if the AMC was selling it more people would know about it and see it)...

Peaks said:
Look for "White Mountains West" at a used bookstore, the author did exactly that (and also published the best White Mtn map of the era). It didn't sell and there was no 2nd edition or "White Mountains East".

I usually read a new guidebook cover-to-cover when I get it even if it's for a faraway area, that's how I can plan places to go. I still ask questions because guidebooks are incomplete, confusing, or even wrong.

I check the guide book before trying a trail for the first time. Mostly I want distance and vert gain,but the descriptions give you an idea how far you have gone on a trail. I might decide on a trail by the number of water crossings if it's muddy,or high water spring situations. I like to check the topo to see if there are good potential camping locations.

I always read the guidebook before the hike (useful for info that the map cannot tell you). However, best CURRENT info is on this site...I don't take the guidebook w me once I've decided on route etc...

I just enjoy reading the guide(s)! I love to read the descriptions and pore over the maps, visualizing how the terrain looks. I have maps and guides to places I may never hike, but I enjoy reading them.

When I'm trip-planning, I photocopy trail descriptions, and print maps on the back, and put that in a zip-lock bag to carry in my pocket for reference. Even if I know the map and descriptions by heart, I still look.

Before the kids were mobile on the beach I did read the WMG & High Peaks guide like a novel. Out of 100 trips I might carry the book once but when trip planning, either with others or looking at new trial options, I always read it few times so I have an idea on distances & expected times. As the winter approaches & in winter, few becomes many.

(I'm already reading up on options for a November Jefferson trip on trails I've never been on before - 5-7 trips either via Caps Ridge, Jewell or part of multiple peak traverses via Gulfside & down something else)

That said, if, in summer, I was heading up Ammo, F-Ridge loop, the common S. Presi' approaches, Monadnock, Bear (CT) or other peak on trails I have been up 7-15x I might not read the book again OR worry about even bring a map.

Took my WMG down to the local printer and had them slice the spine off and punch binder holes in all the pages. Now I keep the guide in a binder and just take out the relevant pages when I go on a hike. Must admit , however, that I still only look at those pages about 50% of the time....usually at the summit while I wolf down my PBJ sarnies.

I just received my second copy of the WMG from Amazon today (at $15.61 an excellent cost/benefit ratio for the piece of gear I use the most, plus I've worn through my original set of maps in places). I was planning to take a drill press, and perhaps a table saw, to this copy to do exactly what Orsonab did more elegantly.

Does anyone know if Kinko's can provide this service (spine removal and hole punching)? If not, does anyone have a printer in the Cambridge MA area who has done this for them?

Small three-ring binder: $4.75
Kinko's cutting and drilling WMG: $12.08

It will be good to be able to grab a few pages and take them backpacking ... I learned after my last (also first) trip that there was a good water source a few hundred yards away from Zeta Pass. My new filter looks a little muddy. :)

Woody48 said:
I read the guidebook often. I have also been known to photocopy the pages relevant to the trails I will be hiking on.

me too! unless i'm with meb who is a walking guidebook : )
kmac

Neil said:
...My wife OTOH reads the descriptions avidly and likes to know exactly what she is in for. She especially does this for hikes I recommend because she dosn't trust me.

Happens to me too...not because she doesn't trust me :rolleyes: :D :eek:

Fen said:
Small three-ring binder: $4.75
Kinko's cutting and drilling WMG: $12.08

It will be good to be able to grab a few pages and take them backpacking ... I learned after my last (also first) trip that there was a good water source a few hundred yards away from Zeta Pass. My new filter looks a little muddy. :)

That got me thinking. It would be great if the guides came that way. One could take the sections that they need with them and leave the rest home. As things change over time and sections of the guide need to be updated, the guild maker (AMC, ADK, ect) could sell just the sections that require the update without having to publish an entirely new guide. I would think this would enable changes to go in the guide much faster and cheaper as well.