Does anyone use the USMC ILBE packs for multi-day hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
I'm going to be picking up a new pack for multi-day hiking. There are a multitude of great choices out there and I've been eyeing a few of them. I was curious though to know if anyone used the ILBE pack. I know they're a bit heavier than most comparable size commercial packs but was wondering if anyone thought they were a good choice. Some I know show great signs of wear but I've seen new ones on E BAY offered at a very interesting price. Any thoughts?

That's and interesting suggestion Chip. After all these years I'll have to admit that I've never owned nor even tried out an external frame pack, but I'll have to admit that it's next to impossible to find a negative review on a Kelty external frame pack.

Backpacks should weigh 9lbs loaded (before food and water) not empty!

Golite Jam - $119, weighs under 2lbs Backpacker Magazine's best all around pack for 2012

I've carried mine over 4000 miles so far...

The USMC pack may take abuse but even the pack weight of a monster 6000+ CI pack with all the bells an whistles is usually in the 6-6.5lbs range. It's not hard to find a good pack in the 4lbs range at a good price for even the longest thru hike. See Mainemans post, that is one of many. Unless you're in the battlefield, I'd stick to a pack meant for recreation.

After all these years I'll have to admit that I've never owned nor even tried out an external frame pack,

When you see a Hut Crew on the trail packing in supplies, what kind of a pack are they wearing ? External frames carry 60lbs like internals carry 40.
Internals are more form fitting and are meant to help your balance on tricky trails. If I know where I'm going, and it's not tricky, and there's weight involved, I prefer an external.
They're just gauche now, like jackets that cover your butt.

External frames carry 60lbs like internals carry 40. Internals are more form fitting and are meant to help your balance on tricky trails. If I know where I'm going, and it's not tricky, and there's weight involved, I prefer an external.

+1

Most trips are now with sub 23 lbs. but I still have my 1978 Kelty and at 4.5 lbs it is great if I need to carry more than 35. They do a good job with the kid carrier too.

I have a "load monster" Mountainsmith Internal from 20 years ago, it will carry the weight of an external but is less convenient than an external. AMC uses an external frame pack as they predominately carry boxes of food which make perfect sense to lash onto en external frame. The frame will not distort when strapping things on while an internal will. If I need to pack a bulk object that needs lashing to a frame I have an old external but for pure trip weight I will use the mountainsmith any time. The trade off with either is I can load and carry far more weight than I should. The Mountainsmith is great for winter use where I attach it to a pulk with the suspension facing up . If things get difficult (open stream crossing)I can throw on the pack with the pulk attached and walk it through the nasty spot.

That said I really like UAL gear internal frame packs. US built and a nice mix of features and lightweight construction with some durability. Hyperlight gear made in Southern Maine is the king of the lightweights but tend to be on the fragile side.

OK Chris, thought I'd let you know I decided to take the plunge. Although, I've done it in a conservative way. I found a Kelty Tioga type pack on E-Bay -- used only twice on two short hikes according to the write-up. Since you can't find them anywhere to try out, I thought at $50 it was the way to go. That's better than forking out $160 on a new one then not liking it. Having put out $50 I will use it and if it turns out that I really like it, it could be a really great buy. Hope so! :)

About 12 years ago I disassembled mine and cleaned the pack part off the frame. It had gotten a bit grungy and a little mold from storage. It cleaned up perfect. Good luck.