Dog Still Missing On Mount Chocorua

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
WMUR news item:

Hiker Rescued Before Nor'Easter Strikes
Dog Still Missing On Mount Chocorua

POSTED: 4:35 pm EST February 13, 2006
UPDATED: 5:48 pm EST February 13, 2006

OSSIPEE, N.H. -- An Ossipee man was recovering Monday after he and his dog got lost hiking on Mount Chocorua over the weekend.

Andrew Boutin, 22, was found late Saturday night just before a strong nor'easter hit the state. He's recovering from frostbite on his hands, but he said he's thankful he's OK. His dog, Alanis, is still missing.

"She's been out there now 24 hours ... in the extreme cold by herself," Boutin said.

The dog has been missing since early Sunday morning. The two were hiking the Liberty Trail on Saturday and were climbing down when it was getting dark. Somehow, they lost the trail.

"I was following the dog, actually, a little bit because I assumed she knew the way, and I think we followed a footpath because people tend to go off the trail a little bit to look for outlooks," Boutin said.

An experienced hiker, Boutin quickly realized they were lost. Even though he was prepared with heavy winter gear, he was cold and nervous. He stopped to drink some water.

"I was a little panicked and concerned, more that I was off the trail," he said. "If I had stuck to the trail, I would've been fine."

After spending several hours in the woods, Boutin used his cell phone to call for help. He retraced his steps to the trail, which is where Fish and Game search crews found him.

"The temperature at the time was about 14 degrees," Lt. Jim Goss said. "He was getting cold, and the forecast was for blizzard-like conditions to come in after midnight."

Rescuers helped Boutin and Alanis the rest of the way down the mountain. By 4:30 a.m. Sunday, they were nearly out of the woods, but Alanis got spooked and took off.

Boutin said that he's thankful for all search crews did to help him, and he's hopeful now that someone will do the same for his dog.

"She's part of family, really," Boutin said. "We had her for so long. I've grown up with her the past 10 years of my life."

Boutin said he plans to hike again when he fully recovers and hopes Alanis will be there to do it with him.

Do you know if anyone is out looking for the dog???

Lost my dog there years ago. When I refound him he was almost at the exact place where we had last seen each other.
Hope the story has a happy ending.

Here's the number to call in the Chocorua area if you find a white, female Labrador cross who looks like a miniature German Shepherd and answers to "Laney":603-539-2284.

[Conservation officers found 22-year-old Andrew Boutin and his dog Laney early on Sunday morning. Boutin and Laney, a white female Labrador cross, had wandered more than three miles of Liberty Trail near Chocorua Lake.
As they walked down together, Laney, was startled by a snowmobile and bolted. Anyone in the area who spots the dog, who looks like a miniature German Shepherd, is asked to call the Carroll County Sheriff's Department ]