Dry Tops vs. Dry Suits

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Which one do you prefer when all ready to go with skirt on.

I'm leaning towards the dry top. I could always get the pants later, right?

And also, what's better...the latex gaskets or the neoprene. I would imagine neoprene is a little more comfortable but not as water tight as latex. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

The latex gaskets will be more waterproof than neoprene, but as you surmise, a lot less comfortable.

I haven't heard too many good things about 2 piece drysuits, what I've heard implies that there are two kinds, the good kinds that leak a little and the bad kinds that leak alot. Maybe it would work for you, depending on the conditions and your skills, but as far as keeping dry goes, I think the general concensus is if keeping dry is important, a one piece dry suit is the only way to go.. YMMV..

Jay

If you are dressing for safety from cold water immersion, a dry top is only of benefit if you do not have to exit your boat-a sure roll in whatever conditons you paddle. Adding the pants later results in extra uncomfy bulk and a weak link for leaks. A full dry suit will be more comfy and safer, if a roll fails.

A neo neck gasket such as on my Kokatat Super Nova semi-drysuit, is ok for the conditons I paddle. Not far from shore, not alone, in winter conditions. If I were either paddling alone or more distant from shore in coastal waters, I would then want a latex neck, no matter how uncomfy.

It is hard to give you a perfect answer without knowing your paddling conditions.

But no matter what you get, please remember that drywear offers ZERO warmth and insulating value. The layering of fleece, polypro, wool, etc underneath it is as imprtant as the drysuit.

Bottom line is dressing for the conditions that you have risk in.

Well, I just sent back the drysuit I rented from the kayak academy. Used it for a little while on the Nissequogue yesterday. LOVED IT!!! Since I haven't perfected my roll yet, I really like the idea of the suit over just the top. Totally comfortable and never too hot (although I only padled around for about 30 minutes - still, I think the colder weather will reduce overheating on longer paddles).

Would definaltey recommend one to someone looking to paddle through the winter. I know they're expensive but since the store I work at is a Kokatat dealer, I'm gonna go for it.

Saw 2 other kayakers out there (around 10AM?). One was yellow and white with a yellow paddle and the other looked like a red Tsunami on top of a minivan. Anyone out there this passed weekend?

Take it easy.

IndianChris said:
Which one do you prefer when all ready to go with skirt on.
When I get all ready to go with my skirt on I prefer neither... I'm just looking to get all wet - yikes!!

:eek: :D :D :D :D