Dual Purpose Gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure Laura M will get a kick out of this post, but I have used a pair of 18" and 20" kids BMX bike wheels to make a pair of kayak carts. I have also got some lawnmower wheels to make a portable kayak cart.

Bike clothing gets used as basically kayaking and hiking gear.

I'll use my hiking GPS for bike touring.

I'll also use some cycling caps for kayaking on windy days...

List goes on and on..

Jay

I use my pot as a pillow. My head kind of just fits in. Not too comfortable, but it keeps my head centered. I first did this on a bike ride down to the Adirondacks, on a cold night. I was cold, and was wearing eery peice of clothing I had (very light sleeping bag) All I had left for a pillow was my shoes and my pot. The pot didn't smell.

An unusual, yet hilarious use for a tent...

One time in Wyoming as part of a geology field camp several of us played a prank on a less fortunate member of the group. We were staying in cattle country, on the open range, and we used his tent in a highly unorthodox manner as a "cow magnet." All we had to do was apply some jelly (I think it was grape) to his rain fly and the cattle swarmed around his tent one morning while he was still sleeping inside it. The poor guy was scared out of his wits.

We often use our ridge rest as a flotation devise for enjoying ponds and lakes at the end of a long day. They will support the weight of your body and nothing beats lounging on the surface of a sun-warmed adirondack lake.
-Also, using tent and fly as a pillow when we are fortunate enough to snag a lean-to.
-stewarts coffee mugs banged together to deter oncoming pesky bears. Unfortunately, the mugs shattered. (and the bear did run away!)

My SnowClaw did double duty as a shovel and butt-sled. According to the manufacturer's web-site, it can also be used as a splint.

I'm all for the bandana as the ultimate multi-purpose tool (second only to duct tape). Now if someone can only point me to a source for oversized bandanas that I could actually fit around my fat head as a do-rag, I would be eternally grateful.

Periwinkle said:
Now if someone can only point me to a source for oversized bandanas that I could actually fit around my fat head as a do-rag, I would be eternally grateful.

There's an army navy on 5th St. (near 9th ave.?) in Park Slope Brooklyn that has them. Blue and red only. Just found the place last weekend, got one of each for my fat head. Truly hard to find.

I'll try and get a name, but they may not be on the on the web.

Dual purpose gear: Pack/pillow. Tad strange that.

Using the ridgre resty as a floaty is great! It has never absorbed water, and after a good shake and 10 minutes drapted over a tree in the sun it's generally dry enough to sleep on!

Cord for both tarp lines and pack lash straps.
Crampon bag for loer arm splint.
Oversized pack rain cover pulled over head as an umbella/hood ... now being sold by Dana.