Duck Hole: Then and Now

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
Went to Duck Hole this weekend, the most recent of several trips I've taken there. Figured everyone here would appreciate a little photo retrospective of what was (and still is) one of the most beautiful spots in the Adirondacks.

Then (Fall 2005):

dscn0136y.jpg

Then (Winter 2006):

dscn0959eq.jpg

Then (Fall 2010):

dscn6562y.jpg

Now:

duckhole28.jpg

Then (Fall 2005):

dscn0158dd.jpg

Then (Winter 2006):

dscn0958la.jpg

Then (Fall 2010):

dscn6560t.jpg

Now:

duckhole08.jpg

Then (Fall 2005):

dscn0155r.jpg

Then (Winter 2006):

dscn0957e.jpg

Then (Fall 2010):

dscn6563t.jpg

Now:

duckhole27.jpg

Thanks for posting these, Brendan. Beautiful photos.

I will always be grateful that I got to visit Duck Hole (twice) before Irene. Hiking that section of the NPT was a great adventure as was the canoe trip from Henderson Lake. In my opinion, the canoe trip is still worth the work, even if Duck Hole is so dramatically changed. We loved Henderson and the Preston Ponds, and the outlet to Duck Hole was about as remote and beautiful a place as I have ever paddled.

Is there enough water to do a little paddling on Duck Hole? How is the mud getting out to the water?

Looks like you had a great trip.

Pat T

Is there enough water to do a little paddling on Duck Hole? How is the mud getting out to the water?

You could probably still paddle at the eastern end of the pond. There was still a decent sized body of water there.

Getting in and out could be problematic, though- the mud had firmed up somewhat near the old shoreline, but close to where there was still water it was very muddy. We got stuck in knee deep mud several times while we were exploring.

When we did the trip to Duck Hole two years ago, we had a really tough time both getting out of Henderson Lake (near the leanto) and also getting into Lower Preston Pond. The mud was a big problem near the shore and we could not find a good place to get in or out of the canoes.

In contrast, the outlet stream from Preston into Duck Hole was tons of fun. The bottom was gravel and we alternated between paddling and walking the canoes, depending on rocks and blowdown.

Pat T

cool... I've been saying for several years that I wanted to get in there before the dam breached. Have heard so many times just what you said about it being so beautiful. Your pics confirm it... not sure about the recent ones though.

Dock Hole, then & now!

Those pics are amazing! I was in there the hurricane prior to Irene & the dam was still intact. I got stranded for an hour at the launch @ Lower Preston Pond due to a thunder shower, that was the extent of it. I shot a bunch of HD Video on the trip just haven't edited it yet. Bubba, let's ski in this winter from the Upper Works!