Dumb question re: tentsites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugarloafer

Reaction score
Bigelow Range from the top of White Nitro
I know a lot of are going to think I'm an idiot, but I'm new to this so here goes. I've noticed wooden tent platforms during some of my hikes and I'm wondering how you set your tent up on one of these ? What do you do with the stakes? Is my tent just old and I'm missing some technological advances in tent design ? Any help would be appreciated.....thanks !

Just take some extra cord with you and you'll be fine.

They have eye-bolts in the sides to tie off to and you can run the cord through the gaps in the platform and tie it off on a post or even just set a rock on it.

NO it is not a dumb question at all! If I plan to use a tent plat from I bring extra cord you can buy this at Wal mat if you want . get about 50 ft you Will not need it but it is that much less you will have to buy later. Guy out yout tent on to trees the sometimes (not at a certain places sites ) eye bolts finds some rocks to weigh them down in bad weather in good weathher with out storms open up the tent and enjoy the stars and othere celstial bodies. you might get lucky and catch a metor shower or o the aroura borialis . If it is going to be miserble stay home and plan a trip out west.

Last edited:
Before you tie your tent to the platform lay down inside and see if you have a level sleeping area. I made this mistake once on a backpacking trip with my wife. When we got to the platform we set up the tent then hiked a nearby peak to catch the sunset. When we climbed into our sleeping bags that night we soon realized that the platform was tilting down where our heads were. All we had to do was spin around to get comfortable, but with a cramped V shaped backpacking tent, our head and shoulders spent a close night together while our feet had all the room in the world!

TenPeaks said:
Before you tie your tent to the platform lay down inside and see if you have a level sleeping area.
Or just look before you pitch the tent (on a platform or on the ground)--most people prefer that their heads be uphill rather than downhill. And a tilt to the side can mean that everyone piles up on one side of the tent.

BTW, some of the most level ground spots are actually dried puddles... A slight tilt can help drainage.

Doug

I should have added that not all sites have eyebolts or a convienent tree to guy out your tent on .The size of your tent matters also. I rember a couple with this huge North Face tent I think it was called the Himalayan Hotel It barely fit on the platform and the caretaker was not all happy as two people had taken a plat from that could hace easily handled two smaller tents . They hed one hell of a set up going on ,very bright lantern , some sort of CD player that was loud , a double burner white gas stove, wine and so on ...
I was at a site years ago called camp 16 on the "wilderness" trail with my then GF we hadasmall tent and were looking or a place when out of nowher a USFS range appeared and told thease two hippy chick that the plat froms were two tent plat forms. They f did not have a problem and were very good cooks they fed us even though we had food! and wanted to share thier substances but we politiely declined . Sop be prepared to shar on a busy weekend or if you want privacy drop your packs and search around .