Eagles, new signs and oh yeah! Table and Peek

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
The day started off with 5 Eagles hanging out at the Rondout Reservoir! We tore ourselves away from watching these majestic birds, (large video here), and headed to Denning, where we met RockySummit, his daughter, Nicole, and Gordon around 8:30. Off we went down the old road, and stopped at the Junction where we found brand new signs! Nice!

The stream crossings were a piece of cake, thanks to the huge bridges that now span the Neversink. After this the climb begins in earnest. We trudged up the mountain slowly but surely. We took a quick break at the Van Wyck view point and the lean-to and found it was in good shape. Soon after, we were at the view point just before the summit. Nice!

A minute or two later and we were at the treed-in summit of Table. But 'Rocky' knew a path to another view point that I had never seen. I skipped it since the first one was all snow covered and continued with Gordon to Peekamoose. Just before we got to the top we heard voices, and met 2 ladies that we have met from other hikes. After a quick chat, we summited and waited for Laurie, Rocky, and Nicole. Eventually they showed up raving about the other view point. Dang, guess we missed it! All the view points were excellent today! :D Here is Laurie's artistic offering du jour. Here is Rocky using his pole to get a better view! :eek:

The trip back 'down' was pretty quick. There are several annoying bumps on this route, and we debated whacking around one, but decided not to. There is maybe 6-10 inches of snow off trail, and the trail is now a groomed highway! Go soon!

Nice TR! Is that a nest in the second eagle pic? I've never heard of an eagle nest on the ground, or ice.

Nice view shots from the hike as well.

happy trails :)