Eastman Mountain 7-2-2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hikers

Reaction score
We headed up into Evans notch to check out Eastman, another on the 52WAV list. We parked at the traihead for the Baldfaces, set out on the baldface circle trail, taking the left or clockwise route. Soon we came across the junction for the Slippery Brook Trail which bears left from the Circle Trail.

Eastman001.jpg

The day was perfect: clear sky, cool temps , and a very pleasant breeze which kept the bugs from being a problem. The lower part of the slippery brook from 113 is one of the nicest trails we have hiked on. There were a few places where it seemed to disappear, but there are ample yellow marks to get you back on track. The trail follows a small stream for a mile or so to its headwaters . The upper part of the trail steepened considerably and was not quite as picturesque, but eventually we reached a four-way junction . A left headed us up Eastman Mountain.
At the summit we were not diappointed. Views were in all directions from various rock heights.
Eastman008.jpg

We saw all the mountains in Evans that we had previously climbed.South West we could see Cathedral Ledge, and North and South Doublehead which we visited a few weeks back.

North and South Doublehead (Jackson)

Eastman011.jpg

The Royces

Eastman017.jpg

Eastman012.jpg

After taking tons of pictures and having some lunch, we headed back down to the four-way with the intent of going on to baldface knob.

Baldface knob

Eastman018.jpg

When we reached the knob, we could look back and see Eastman, where we had just been.

Eastman015.jpg

Now, the sun would have been very hot, but the wind had increased and was blowing VERY hard out on the open ledges. Some hikers had turned back from climbing South Baldface because of the high wind.

Eastman018.jpg

Eastman025.jpg

We decided we would go down by way of the circle trail by the shelter. Those who have done the Baldfaces know that this is the steepest part of the climb, and we had never tried it going down.

Eastman021.jpg

Needless to say, it was tricky and slow going, but we are still in the "training" mindset, getting ready for our attack on the ADK's next week.

Anyway, this was one of the better 52WAV experiences , in our minds,and , with the exception of the Baldface decent, a fairly easy climb.

Hello again! My husband and I were the hikers you met on Baldface Knob. I'm still working on my trip report but will post it later today or tomorrow.
-vegematic

Hello again! My husband and I were the hikers you met on Baldface Knob. I'm still working on my trip report but will post it later today or tomorrow.
-vegematic

Then that would be the back of your heads in picture #7, I guess. Very nice meeting you !!

Here is a section of the mtns I have neglected...not because I have no interest, but because of the distance from my home. Thanks for posting these wonderful pictures, that have given me an idea of what the area is like. :)

I'm hoping to do this loop in the fall, but in the opposite direction. Thanks for the trail report and pictures.