Eggs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forestgnome said:
...a vote for hard-boiled, with a little packet of salt. I'm spoiled with fresh eggs from my sister's chickens.

happy trails :)

Yeah...but have you ever had a hard boiled egg freeze on you? Its pretty tough to choke them down when they are frozen... :rolleyes:

BTW those egg storage thingies only hold small eggs, not jumbos.

paul ron said:
BTW those egg storage thingies only hold small eggs, not jumbos.

and then ya got this plastic non squashable du hikey in your pack/boat if the eggs fit into it to begin with that just's has no good place afterwords. IMO if you need to carry go for the foam/cardboard carrier!

Eggs last fresh or frozen

When in the Peace Corps down in Bolivia, the little stores just kept the unrefrigerated eggs on a shelf. Then again, they had to since we only had electricity from dusk til 9pm. They kept for a goodly while but the yolks did turn somewhat orange after 4-5 days. I'm sure the nutritional value likely took a hit but the flavor was OK.

I'm told that eggs can be frozen with no downside. Haven't tried it.

Well, I made it back alive with no egg-poisoning.

When I arrived at Long Lake Saturday morning, we stopped at the diner there and added some salt to the 8 eggs in the nalgene bottle. After I added the salt I shook it up. The yokes obviously broke apart so we had scrambled eggs the next morning. They did get slushy Saturday night since the predicted temps was supposed to be in the teens so in the morning I shook them up a bit and placed them near the fire for a while. They cooked up real good. A little salty but real good. Bacon, eggs and coffee...you can't beat it (although I wasn't the one carrying the dirty skillet). I think I was looking forward to the coffee all weekend most of all. mmmmm

I should have some pics posted soon (look for "Long Lake").

Thanks again for all your input.

Last edited: