El Yunque (Carribean National Forest)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExploreTheEast

Reaction score
El Yunque (Caribbean National Forest)

I led a small group on a trip to Puerto Rico last weekend, and we spent a day hiking around El Yunque, the only Tropical Rainforest within the US forest system. A 2 1/2 mile loop using the Big Tree/La Mina Falls trails was easy on the feet, and made it's way past some huge-mongous trees and ferns. Snails and the occasional lizard were the only wildlife brave enough to show their faces. The Coqui tree frog talked a good game, but when you went to look for them, they shut right up. The trail was paved to withstand erosion, has a gentle grade, and leads to a mighty fine swimmin hole under La Mina Falls.

A longer out-and-back route was not so tame, using the El Yunque trail to ascend almost 1500 feet to the second highest peak in the forest. Paved or gravel in some places, and wet rocky tread in others, it followed an easy contour and occasionally switched back as views opened up and we passed through different levels of vegetation, eventually entering the spooky cloud forests where trees are much smaller.

The views from the top of El Yunque are amazing, and even on this cloudy day, stretched to the coast where you could clearly see the blue-tinted waters of the Atlantic.

This was my second time down there in the past few years. The forest has some beautiful terrain, and is so accessible to the US Eastern seaboard that I can't recommend it enough if you're looking to do some warm weather hiking this winter. Our round-trip flight on Jet-Blue to San Juan was only $160. Much longer trip report on our site early next week!

kate.jpg

Edit: 200th post, woohoo!

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of hiking in El Yunque several years ago. I was in awe of the size of the plants. I have a picture of my foot next to a leaf; my foot appears miniscule. The lizards were abundant when I was there. Last fall, I hiked in the Guajataca Forest on the western part of the island. 180 degrees different from the rain forest. I tentatively plan on returning to PR this May. I think Jet Blue flies from Phila. Thats a great price for the flight. Unfortunately, I do not think I will make it to El Yunque. I am planning some scuba diving; either Mona or Deschecheo Island.

wow... cool memories.

Haven't seen that picture since I hiked it with my family when I was about 16... 25 years ago this week! Great hike, and for the numbers of tourists who visit the rainforest itself, remarkably empty up on top. Do they still have a zillion towers on top of the mountain? That was the only drawback for me- my Dad thought we might get electrocuted or microwaved if we explored the top too much.

I have read that El Toro (#1 peak in that area) is even better, though longer and even more remote/strenuous.

I assume you left the snowshoes at home... :)
-Weatherman

Amigo
Nice summit. Bueno! I climbed El Yunque early one morn in a dark mist and it was surreal.
Funny how a change of environment made my sensors stand up. It was a little disconcerting not recognizing fauna/tracks/ soil/forest sounds etc. But the views of the Carib were fascinatingly beautiful.

Last edited:
pks4000 said:
Amigo
Nice summit. Bueno! I climbed El Yunque early one morn in a dark mist and it was surreal.

That is an awesome shot. Looks like next time I go I have to get up a little earlier. That was actually the the original plan, but some genius left his camera on the rental car counter earlier that morning, and we had to go all the way back to San Juan for it. :(

Weatherman, there are definitely some brain-frying type of structures in the vicinity, but we didn't let it deter us. Upon returning to the states, I can now communicate with my computer without using the keyboard. In fact, I typed this entire post using only my mind. lol

Anyway, our informative article is up, check it out on our site. Carol, we added a few examples of ridiculous-sized plantlife just for you. :)

--Mark