Elephant Mt Solo Bushwhack NEHH #81 9/6/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Elephant is supposed to be an easy bush whack. It depends on whether you've been there before and if you use GPS or not. I whacked the Elephant (no elephants were injured in process of this whack). I drove via south shore of Lake Mooselookmegantic locating Elephant Mt Road (no sign) between Clear Brook & Birch Brook. I drove 3.3 miles up the road to approx. 2600' to crossing of Clear Brook and parked near a red jeep I later learned belonged to Dale and Sherry.

I chose to follow FTFC suggestions of heading stream draining between two summits for whacking the Elephant. I also used strictly map & compass and the sun for navigation.

I walked to a big clearing on other side of brook afforded nice view of 2 summits of Elephant. I was aiming for the SW summit since it has the canister. I returned to cars and hiked up the haul road overgrown with Pearly Everlasting and Golden Rod. I came to a logging yard

with a cairn at upper end and headed for that.

I came to Clear Brook Trail and followed it. I also spotted a 2nd "trail" heading NW, but ignored it as it had some logs blocking it and didn’t jive with FTFC instructions. There was a cut over area to the north of the trail. I continued until it entered forest and topped out at around 3K in saddle between Elephant and Old Blue.

I observed a dry creek bed I thought might be the brook that FTFC instructions indicates drains between 2 summits. I opted to continue to connect with AT, but lost trail in some blow downs. I headed back to dry creek bed and started up the cutover area. I reached top cut area and worked way up slope picking my way through tree and rocks.

I topped out too far to right on shoulder leading to NW summit. I had to cross bottom of col between me and SW summit. I headed in that direction using combination of sun and compass and terrain alternating between thick spruce, blowdowns, and deep cushiony moss. I came across lots of moose tracks and trails leading no where particular. Scrub got pretty nasty as I worked my way up in elevation towards SW summit.

Woods finally opened as I approached SW summit. I arrived at the canister and noticed Dale and Sherry had come and gone. I wandered around a bit to see if there might be any views, but best I could do was filtered view of Northern Presi, Old Speck, Baldpate? I also glimpsed south end of Richardson Lake. I phoned my wife to inform her I summited and was heading down. I took a photo of myself returning to my Republican roots. Is this thing sanitary? Maybe someone should put some bleach up here?

The herd path from canister pooped out after 50 meters or so. Back to navigating by compass, terrain, and sun at my back. It was very thick at times. There's enough up and down such that you can't just follow the terrain and must constantly check your bearings. I wandered into a boggy area that was relatively dry due to recent dry spell. This boggy area could be pain during wet weather. I figured this boggy area was source for the intermittent brook that drains between 2 summits.

The boggy area drains into pleasant rocky creek bed that I followed ands woods finally opened up. I shortly reached the top of cutover area and noticed an obvious skid trail heading SE which I followed. The skid trail went in straight line and just kept on going with only minor overgrown spots. I came out right at the spot I first observed with the logs at the cairn at the top of logging yard I’d started from.

This bushwhack took longer than typical but was very rewarding. I've done number of bushwhacks this year, but this is first solo whack forcing me to rely strictly on my own judgement and no one in party with GPS to fall back on. It was fun battling my personal demons.

Nice job!

Elephant for us ended up being a pretty straightforward bushwack -- we found some thick spots and blow down low but otherwise it was uphill to the top for us. We even dragged Leaf along, which proves how easy it is!

What's left for you?

Last edited:
Good job and I am glad you found those demons. I left them in the parking area when I hiked Elephant solo last year. Hiking solo on a bushwhack is something most people do not understand. Fortunately here on a forum like this there are many who understand and know the thoughts of being out there and self reliant. It is more gratifying when you reach the car than when you have been on a well defined trail. BTW...boo.

Good job and I am glad you found those demons. I left them in the parking area when I hiked Elephant solo last year. Hiking solo on a bushwhack is something most people do not understand. Fortunately here on a forum like this there are many who understand and know the thoughts of being out there and self reliant. It is more gratifying when you reach the car than when you have been on a well defined trail. BTW...boo.

Not to belittle anyone's accomplishments .... but demons seem bigger when you don't have the GPS to vanquish them with. It's one thing to be in totally enclosed in thick spruce in featureless terrain and to see exactly where you are on a map and another to be wondering whether you went down or are heading down the wrong side. Anyway I plan to get a GPS for Christmas and will learn to use it. Meanwhile I'll enjoy the mystery even if it takes me a little longer to get it done.

To Unadogger, with 19 to go there's too many to list here. I have 5 more NEHH to do in VT. Rest are in Maine. 6 of these are 4K's. I'm thinking of doing a 3-pack in VT sometime soon - Equinox, Dorset, Pico. Never been to Baxter so majority is there. Plan to make it up there next year.

i don't use preloaded Tracklogs, I look at the map on the GPS screen and my location relative to where I want to be. I also always use a compass to verify my GPS bearing. I think an altimeter, map and compass would be enough, though, its fun to have the GPS if only to store the route and play with the data later, GPS do a lot more than help navigate! Sometimes I follow my track from the route up down, if its been good to me!
When you have both, you will have a new appreciation for them as a tool for fine tuning. Guess you will have to wait and find out come Christmas!
I did a solo bushwack in the daks and my GPS failed me, the electronics crapped out. I had to use my compass but the most crucial tool I had in my employ was my common sense and cool, staying calm and on course through some very dark woods, no matter what tools you have, your head is your most important!

Last edited:
Altimeter is important too

In my haste to publish I forgot to mention the altimeter is vital tool. I look at that a lot. Nothing like knowing your altitude. I doubt I'd even attempt bushwhacking without the alimeter. Clock is important too to see how you're doing time-wise.

I have to agree with Una Dogger......Pack your wits or stay home. My wits have kept me out of more trouble than you can imagine. Of course they have been reduced at times and got me in more trouble than you can imagine. It sounded like a good idea at the time.

Yup, that was us

We started around 9:30am. Like Una-dogger, it was pretty much the same for us to go straight up after the last cairn to the SW peak. We popped out of the THICK stuff about 200ft right (north east) of the cannister onto a herd path. Signed the log then ate lunch.
We were back at the Jeep around 12:30pm :D I was wondering who owned the VFTT sticker attached to a silver SUV?
Dale

We started around 9:30am. Like Una-dogger, it was pretty much the same for us to go straight up after the last cairn to the SW peak. We popped out of the THICK stuff about 200ft right (north east) of the cannister onto a herd path. Signed the log then ate lunch.
We were back at the Jeep around 12:30pm :D I was wondering who owned the VFTT sticker attached to a silver SUV?
Dale

I remember those blowdowns! Wait..is it me..or do all blowdown patches end up looking the same??:D

. My wits have kept me out of more trouble than you can imagine. Of course they have been reduced at times and got me in more trouble than you can imagine. It sounded like a good idea at the time.

LOL! Been there...some of my better bad ideas go something like, "I'll just bushwack...<several minutes later> why am I bushwacking a trailed peak...? Alone?" ....all in good fun!

Another very useful tool........snow. Gets you back to where you started.View attachment 2807 However, pushing through thick spruce that is heavily caked in the stuff can get old and very time consuming. We almost gave up finding the summit for fear of running out of daylight. We have a Garmin e-trex Legend, but rarely find it useful on bushwhacks, as we are usually under too much canopy to receive a signal.
Congrats and good luck with your future whacks.
Kath

Jazzbo,

Nice job of bagging the Elephant. :cool: Looks like you took a more adventurous route than the one I did. I followed a herd path to a boundary cut and went right a bit to another herd path that went into a blowdown/marshy area. Bopped through and around that and found another herd path that took us to the canister on the SW peak. Got lucky on that one, I guess.

Also, I read in your thoughtful card about your successful navigation of the tricky Bemis Mt. Road/Icicle Brook Rd. loop with Alli. . Glad you both got to see a couple of cow & calf duos, too. :cool:

Hope our paths cross soon!

Marty

Been there, done that...

I had to throw in my latest experience (01/06) up Elephant due to reading all your entertaining reads. Our trip was enhanced by temps at -15 (-26 on our overnight camp) We were almost to the sumit when I fell into a massive spruce trap. Ed, hiking close to me witnessed the drop. Laughing was all he could do. As I tried to pull myself out, I kept falling in deeper, the laughter got louder, ED!!!! To add to my misery, a very pointed branch was right..... well.... you know where and as I tried to free myself this was intruding my private space each time I pushed myself up. Ed.... laugh some more...... Finally I got freed and we did sumit, but it is a story we repeat over and over again.....

Disclaimer: No spruce trees were injured in this adventure, Just ones ego.

Redwood 100/100