End of a great season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayakDan

Reaction score
Last kayak trip of the season this weekend. Knubble Bay in Maine.Lots of fast water to play in.

Until March..then we kayak here
Exuma!

Last edited:
Looks great !
...can't quite put the paddle down yet...just came in from doing some rolling practice by Kingston State Park.
.....though have to get my legs in shape for snowshoe season....

I'll be envious in March !

Not over yet for me, going for a 1/2 day paddle this saturday morning. Should be a good time, since this weekend is an off weekend for me due to my nephews, mom's, and sister's birthday celebrations...

Jay

End of a great season ???

Not quite. A few of us will be paddling for the fall foliage on the Charles River, lakes area, in Newton/Waltham. Meet Tuesday, 10/17 at 10 AM at the Norumbega duck feeding parking lot across from the boat house. Traditional snacks and tequila hydration afterwards.

Seasons? What are "seasons"? Oh yah...out here the temps drop from 86 to about 84 in winter. :)

Besides.....I just bought an OC-1 so my season is just getting started. Pix coming soon.

Aloha

- darren

ps: I might be up for Exuma in 2008. Tell Sam and Carl to pencil me and Carmel in.

Oc-1

Darren
Poor fellow... out there in all that warm weather... all my sympathy of course !

The OC-1 is that an outrigger kayak...pretty radical stuff. I see there is a strong tradition of outriggers over there.

darren said:
ps: I might be up for Exuma in 2008. Tell Sam and Carl to pencil me and Carmel in.

We're hoping to sail our 26M to Exuma by then,and meet up with the group.

Our kayak season ends in Oct-Nov,because it's backpacking/camping season then!
Did our last sailing trip,last weekend. Two days in Casco Bay-excellent finish!

spider solo said:
Darren
Poor fellow... out there in all that warm weather... all my sympathy of course !

The OC-1 is that an outrigger kayak...pretty radical stuff. I see there is a strong tradition of outriggers over there.

Yah, I picked up a used 1 man outrigger canoe. Almost 22' long and about 16" wide. It's carbon fiber and fully rigged it only weighs 26 lbs. I totally lucked out and it is sized for someone 6'4". I took it out to demo it and I bought it on the spot.

After 12 years with a double blade, I'm a little out of my element with the canoe stroke, but it is damn cool! I've taken it out a few times and I really like it.

Pix will come, but it might be a while. I messed up my leg and re-opened the fracture. I got a big stupid full leg brace and I'm back on crutches. Ugh!

- darren

ouch...ouch

I had no idea that you've had a tough time with your leg.
..Still if one has to be hurtin seems your in a perfect place for some mending...Good luck with that !!

The boat sounds "outrageouse"... 16 " wide sounds wafer thin by comparison to anything I've ever seen.
Looks like great fun !
Good Luck
spdr & all

We finished up the paddling season with two days of great paddling in excellent autumn weather. 18 paddlers joined this AMC Knubble Bay trip,with a 15 mile trip on Saturday,and about 6 miles on Sunday. We made a visit to the final resting place of a "grand old lady",The Mary Barrett ,and paddled in and out of some old fishing weirs,or tide mills.
Our evenings had great company,great food,cold beer and a warm wood stove.
Rounding out the weekend was a quick trip to Wiscassett for "Lobstas and steamas" on the dock.
Life is good! :D

I have been heading out every Saturday along the Savanah River and am most likely going to be at it year long. I have not spotted any alligators yet but at the boat ramp I put in there are warning signs about them.

A week ago the we had frost (yes frost in Georgia) when I put in. Saw no one the 3 hours I was out. Then again with the fog coming off the river I could only see about a 100 feet at most. Did get really close to a good size buck that was getting a drink.

Still need to gt to the coast and kayak among the dolphins an manatees.
-brianW

Did a trip on the Hudson River south from Hudson Saturday 1/13/07. Saw an immature bald eagle on Middle Ground Flats. The 'Norwegian Sea' of the K-Sea tugboat line passed going north pushing a full fuel barge. Water was like glass when I started, but a north wind and a strong ebb tide made for slow going on the return.
Last week, also on the Hudson, I saw a pair of eagles perched by their nest, a long-standing and well-known one. They will start incubating their eggs in early February. Tough time of year to be sitting on a nest, I hope they catch a break with this weather.