"Enhancing" pants for crampon use

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoomboy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Did a search on the forums for "crampon patch material" and nothing came up, so I figured I'd post my question.

I've got a great pair of pants that I'd like to use during the winter months. However, they do not have protective crampon patches on the insteps, and after just a couple of hikes, they are already getting torn up around the ankles.

Has anyone had success in modifying their pants with material (cordura, ballistic nylon, kevlar, etc.) so that they were a little more crampon-resistant?

Can you talk about the material you selected, and how you went about attaching it, etc? Was it worth the time and effort? I want to fix the pants anyway, so I'll probably try to do something along these lines even if it's better just to buy a better pair for true winter backcountry use.

Thanks!

Matt

I think most people use gaiters made of ballistic nylon. Worn on the outside of your pants, they should protect the pants from damage.

Cordura has not prevented holing from crampons in my experience. I'm not sure about ballistic nylon or kevlar (which I think is very expensive in small quantities and is hard to work with -- nearly impossible to stich). I tend to just apply duct tape over serious holes in the field, then patch at home with nylon patches and more tape.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has better ideas!

preventing tears (and tears)

el-bagr said:
...I'd be interested to see if anyone has better ideas!

Not really "better," but the only ways I can figure to prevent tears in pants when wearing crampons are these:

2) After putting on your pants and crampons, stand very still or sit down and don't move

1) Sawing off (quicker) or filing down (slower) the crampon points

Ragged Mountain in Intervale, NH has a good selection of materials for creating your own outdoor gear (note: I have no affiliation with them).

You could maybe call them or swing by?

I am rapidly developing my own personal line of crampon-shredded attire. It is amazing how high up on a pants leg I can actually get a nice clean slice, sometimes without even scratching the skin beneath.

Last edited:
If it's cold enough for crampons it's cold enough for gaiters. I use Black Diamond GTX Frontpoint Gaiters. Not that I go ice climbing but they are not bulky, fit my legs well, are easy to get on/off and are pretty bulletproof.

As a bonus, a warmer leg=a warmer foot.

I also have a collection of leg shredded pants from before I got the gaiters. Amazing how much cold gets through a small tear.

Bob

I bought three pairs of Swiss army surplus gaitors from the Sportsmans guide 4 years ago. These have a leather patch on the inside of the leg that seems to take most hits. I've gone through a couple of pair now and can't find them anymore :( Duct taping them now.

patches

I wear gaitors. Ive had the same Gore-tex pants for 10 years, they dont have holes in them. While my gaitors have a few holes in them, they are 8 yrs old, maybe people should focus on walking, more then patching there pants. No offense meant but I hike 3 or 4 days a week, maybe Im just good. ;)

crampon protection

if you can find some heavy duty patches made of rip-stop nylon or the heavy duty rubber that is used on protective gear on the knees & elbows (look at some downhill mountain biking outfits to see what i mean) - i always thought some nice shark mesh would be great also! i'd like to see my crampons try to go thru that stuff!

the only sure fire way to save your pants and gaitors is to be extra careful how you walk and not snag your pants. it's sounds childish but it's true. a crampon point is going to tear any material you throw at it. wearing gaitors will add extra protection but sometimes they get past the gaitor. i always wear gaitors when i'm wearing crampons, my gaitors take a beating.

i've found the past patching material to be duct tape and seam sealer. use a lighter to burn off any excess threads. align the tear so it's as flat as possible and back the hole with a piece of duct tape, i.e on the inside. on the outside squeeze a generous portion of seam sealer on and around the tear and spread it like butter. let it dry for a day and you're ready to go, leave the tape on.

afka_bob, now I understand why you sit so much when we hike. Question though.... any jpegs of your old blue pants you would like to share with the class? And can you explain the crampon cuts above the knees?

Seriously, IMO one of the big benefits of gaitors is how they keep your pant legs tighter against your legs. Less fabric flapping like prayer flags down between your feet.

yes I can...

dave.m said:
afka_bob ... can you explain the crampon cuts above the knees?

Low self-esteem and a fundamental misunderstanding of physics,* perhaps, but I blame society, really.

If you use front points (well, any crampons, for that matter) and don't have some shredded gaiters, pants, etc., you probably dont have any oil drops on your driveway and can carpet your kitchen and bathroom without regret. I can't.

This is also why I don't use an inflatable sleeping pad (seriously).

This simple formula might help:

m + c = h

where:

m = me
c = crampons
h = holes in everything

*misunderstanding physics

I just got new crampons and used to have 10 pts now- I have 12 - not sure if those extra 2 points are a huge differecne - but the first time I went out with them - I shredded my goretex pants on both legs - pretty bad - never even noticed until late on - my gaiters probably saved my legs - I tend to wear them under the gore-tex shell -- becuase I typically hike in my long under wear with giaters over them and throw the shell over it all on treeline. I just ducked taped them up and that will do for now.

As if the torn windpants or gaiters weren't enough..
How 'bout the faceplant in the snow when the crampons snag your gaiters! :eek:

Of course,you could always leave the rubber protectors on them to avoid rips! :D

A friend of mine uses shoe goo on the bottoms of his pants. He just smears it on to create a protective coating over the gortex. It seems to work. I usually just use duct tape.

hypalon patches if you can find them. this is a rubbery material that is stitchable. also keprotech, which is the instep patch material on my goretex pants works well.