essential equipment

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially with the freeze-thaw-freeze cycle starting up, the snow is going to get harder and harder. The fellow who fell on Gulfside and slid into King Ravine last March was wearing microspikes at the time. His companion was wearing crampons.
Micros are great for shoulder seasons and ridgelines, but I don't trust them at all for hard ice and descents with any substantial pitch.

FWIW, I'll add some commentary to Brambor's suggestions;

Besides the most obvious:
10 essentials type stuff

Don't go alone.
Totally agree, things can go south in a hurry in the winter.

I'd rather carry something else, like a pad and bivy sack. Unless you're in a gully or some specific area, you probably won't have the axe out anyway.

If you'll be above treeline. Most spots below can be by-passed or navigated with snowshoes. My next pair of snowshoes will probably be Katoohla MTN Step-In's, where the shoe and crampon can separate.

snowshoes
pretty well accepted as required. Be prepared to be able to fix "the usual suspects".

experiment with methods to prevent fogging. I'm still experimenting.

full face mask
I've been having good luck with an old neoprene mask I used for skiing. Fit and moisture control are better than my nylon masks. Fleece hoods are too hot for me.

hiking poles
I like them, but don't believe they're required.

warm compartment for cell phone or radio
I keep my camera on a lanyard next to my chest. Other stuff can be stored with a toe warmer.

Toe/Hand Warmers: Bring 2 of each and swallow your pride. If you're cold, these things work great.

Food you'll eat and fluids you'll drink: say no more.

Down parka with hood and Hardshell jacket: I've stopped wearing my softshell pants in winter. I wear a softshell top and mid weight shirt and capilene and/or fleece pants under my hardshell pants.

Wool Liner Gloves and Over-Gloves or Mitts: Burn your thin fleece gloves. As soon as they get wet, they're useless. Get a bunch of 100% wool army surplus liner gloves and wear those alone or under a shell. Bring a couple extra for yourself and your buddy with the fleece gloves.

GPS: They aren't fail or fool proof, but they are important safety gear above treeline, IMHO, in winter.

Excellent Physical Condition: I don't think being in not great shape in the other seasons is a problem. In winter slow, labored, sweating progress is dangerous for you and your group.

Last edited:
Brambor said:
snowshoes
pretty well accepted as required. Be prepared to be able to fix "the usual suspects".
However, note how many people go without them when the trail is broken out and packed. And how many people ask on websites (such as this one) if the trail is packed so they can leave their snowshoes behind.

One should also note how many times SAR is called out to rescue such people...

Doug

I solo and never tell anyone where I am. Might not be for you, but thats how I roll. Ive done this for many years in NH, CO and CA.To me its pure, just me a mountain and my skills. I expect a low percentage of people on this board to understand this form of climbing and frankly, acceptance of my style means nothing to me.

I solo and never tell anyone where I am. Might not be for you, but thats how I roll. Ive done this for many years in NH, CO and CA.To me its pure, just me a mountain and my skills. I expect a low percentage of people on this board to understand this form of climbing and frankly, acceptance of my style means nothing to me.
FWIW, I often do the same.

Doug

You two should get together ;). It's certainly easier to head out on your own schedule, without needing to chase or be slowed down by someone else. I'm sure 90% of the people here have done it. It's not heroic and it's certainly less safe for the reader this thread was initially intended to target.

You two should get together ;). It's certainly easier to head out on your own schedule, without needing to chase or be slowed down by someone else. I'm sure 90% of the people here have done it. It's not heroic and it's certainly less safe for the reader this thread was initially intended to target.
I also often hike with friends. Going solo, for me, is mostly a convenience--I'm not going to stay home just because no one wants to go out and hike/ski with me on some particular day.

And I'm extra careful when alone. (Of course, my one serious accident occurred when I was solo... But someone came along a few minutes later and helped me deal with it. (I probably would have been ok without the help--it just would have taken a bit longer.))

Doug

Last edited:
After reading a strange news story about a woman who was dead in her cubicle for a day before being discovered, I'd have to say that in this strange world of ours, being by oneself in the mountains sometimes is okay. But I think it is definitely more fun to share your experiences with others.

Not sure about it being more fun with others. I am on the phone, on e-mail, on conference calls, on my BlackBerry from 6:00 day until 12:00 at night, virtually every day. My time in the woods is for me to get away, not speak, not be spoken to, not hear any bells, rings, chimes, alerts going off.

Just my own panting and gasps for breaths, the wind, and what wildlife I can see or hear.

(thread-drift....)

just a list

I certainly don't advocate to stay home if the only choice is to go alone. I wouldn't. It's all a degree of judgement. Once the weather starts warming up and people start falling through the snow, the level of $h1t happens goes up. That's all. So we should be prepared. Strap those snowshoes to the pack and hang your crampons as well and have them ready when the need arises. Be prepared to turn around by 1PM to allow extra time if accidents come up. If you go alone - fine. If you can have a buddy = better. If you had up above treeline onto a steep trail then by all means use that ice axe that is strapped to your backpack.

Be prepared to turn around by 1PM to allow extra time if accidents come up.
I'm slow so I bring a headlamp (and a spare) and an adequate supply of spare batteries.

If I get back to the car before last light, I figure I didn't go far enough.

My big disappointment on last weekend's BC ski was that I got back to the car too soon and didn't get to try night skiing with my extra-bright 3W LED headlamp... :)

Doug

be prepared

If you're prepared to stay in the woods then by all means have a blast. :D

I'm slow so I bring a headlamp (and a spare) and an adequate supply of spare batteries.

If I get back to the car before last light, I figure I didn't go far enough.

My big disappointment on last weekend's BC ski was that I got back to the car too soon and didn't get to try night skiing with my extra-bright 3W LED headlamp... :)

Doug

I agree company can be fun, Ive had some great climbing partners over the years, its just that my lifestyle and traveling leaves me soloing alot. Its really a matter of your comfort zone,while mine is mine, yours is yours, there's no better or worse, just different. I like to challange myself when I can, the bigger the challange the better for me. You want to walk up willard and leave your plans on a nice summer day in case you dont make it back;) I wont say a peep, when I solo the holy cross gully on a 2 day climb, dont bother me either. Oh I did not intend to single out anyone, just the monroe climb brought the point to me.

I have such compatable friends, and enough of them, that I rarely have the opportunity to hike alone. Yep, I'm bragging. This wasn't the case before I started hiking 15 or so years ago. Not wanting to sound too sappy :) or sentimental, I am so grateful for the wise encouragement, good humor, steady support, :rolleyes: intellectually stimulating, sympathetic, loving friends I've made. I can't imagine where I'd be in this world without them, or why I didn't find anything similar to this earlier in my life.

... its just that my lifestyle and traveling leaves me soloing alot.

I'm guessing that you're single. My wife does not think twice about man eating spruce traps if she knows I'm hiking with someone, which makes life much more enjoyable for everyone. I might still die, but at least my partner would be able to tell my wife where the body is. :)

I'm guessing that you're single. My wife does not think twice about man eating spruce traps if she knows I'm hiking with someone, which makes life much more enjoyable for everyone. I might still die, but at least my partner would be able to tell my wife where the body is. :)
Speaking of which, are you interested in the Cats? You're only a little more than an hour from my house! Or maybe Killington this weekend?

yes I am and I realize that makes a difference. I used to climb technical routes with this married guy and his wife always questioned me on how bad things we where doing where. I always downplayed everything to make her happy, although once I asked her about her life insurance situation and she never quite trusted me after that.:eek: