Esther herd paths?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KZKlimber

Reaction score
Returning from the Esther summit to the main Whiteface trail I noticed 2 herd paths entering from the west side of the path I was on - I assume both of these lead to the auto road. One was very faint and the other was heavily used.

I'm thninking one must lead to where the brook crosses the auto road just not far from the toll house. I'm not sure about the other.

Any info?

..... I'm just curious.

KZ

KZ

Should be a single path

As of June 25 of this year, there should be only a single path. The others were closed off. The official path is now the one a few hundred yards PAST (when heading towards Whiteface) the old tobagan shelter

Sometimes, however, a well intentioned hiker will remove the blowdown which was used to block the secondary paths. It often takes a few years before the single path becomes adopted.

Last edited:
Esther

I think the replies might be misinterpreting a bit, if I understand what you've described. As you head back on the herd path to the Whiteface trail, you're headed more or less south, so trails heading off to the west (right) would be heading towards the highway and away from the main trail. There was indeed an old trail from that plateau that hits the highway fairly high up - at a turn in the road where on most maps, the route number, "431" with a circle around it, is found. It's at around 3800', I think. If you drive or ski up the highway, you can still see indications of a path heading off that way. People still use it occasionally to get to Esther from the toll road, usually in winter, since you have to go a long way up the road to access it, and we all know they don't let you walk on the road in season.

Anyway, I think there's a good chance you've seen the "other end" of this old path, which has probably seen enough use to start to be noticeable again.

I agree with teleskier, I've noticed that route while skiing the auto road and think I found the other end.