Evans Notch / Hastings campground cutting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowmo68

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the big clear cut around Hastings campground in Evans notch is all about? It was damn ugly driving through there on Sunday! Looks like they are expanding the campground or something! I hope not! This area is so remote and secluded and it would be a shame to be built up!

I saw it too. I think they were cleaning up from last winters ice storm. You could see from Rt 113 that there were still a ton of trees keeled over in that area and it sure looked like storm damage to me. I saw the orange US Forestry pickup trucks and lots of workers with chainsaws but but there didnt appear to be any commercial activity.

I dont think the logging season has started yet. It's still too muddy for that.

bob

Some of the trees in that area had a fungus that was killing them. Rather than remove only those trees thought to already have the fungus, they opted to remove all the trees that are vulnerable to the fungus in order to prevent the fungus from spreading further. They have opted not to replant and instead let the remaining trees repopulate the area. I was told this by a WMNF employee that I met in the area a few weeks ago. She was involved in the decision making.

I'm not sure which fungus was invading or which tree species were removed.
-vegematic

Thank you vegematic :) I hope the fungus was contained! What a mess! I am glad to her that this was not an expansion of the campground! This area is great as is! I had heard that this area was now designated wilderness not sure if that is just the other side of 113 (western side ) or both! This is one of my favorite places to hike so a bit nervous when I saw all that destruction!

The new Wilderness boundary is just south of the Wild River Campground, some miles from Hastings.

As for Hastings, I believe the FS is also planning a significant amount of thinning throughout the campground. This was scoped some time ago. The same thing is happening at a number of other campgrounds throughout the WMNF.