Ever Been Rescued?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever Been Carried Out / Spent the Night Unplanned?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never rescued

Never been rescued - but have had blisters so badly on my heels, years ago when we first started, that made me gimp out of the woods....I am not sure if that consitutes injured.....not really helped out either- aside from my boyfriend having to slow down and listen to me complain about them- the entire way out. (These weren't your average blisters normally obtained from say- badly fitting high heel shoes- these required 2nd skin and then a doctors visit for inability to wear backed shoes at all for several days afterward.)

On occasion we have abandoned a trip when it has reached what I call "cluster status"...before someone gets hurt. Start with a hearty helping of unexpected bad weather, we are normally prepared for it....but it can make the going slower and mucky. Then add a dash of "stupid &#$$@* water filter" - not that big a problem - we always bring at least a few of the purification tablets too. Stir in some of the boyfriends special "I think I did something to my back- but I will be alright" (yeah, today - how about in the morning??) and top it off with another little problem of any kind - even yes...a mild case of "intesinal trolls".....that is usually enough sound the retreat. I used to get very torked at not acomplishing what we sent out to do. But, I have learned to accept that- hey.....it was a day or 2 out in the woods!!! A bad day in the woods is still better than a good day at work.

Altitude sickness on Mt. Kenya

If I did it over again, I'd be more fussy about both my guide and my itinerary. I'd ignore the "typical" hiking itineraries that are designed to get you up, down, and out as quickly as possible, and I would fork over the bucks (or Kenyan shillings) for a longer/slower ascent. Also, the particular guide we hired had come recommended by some Peace Corps volunteers my friend knew, and although he was great when things were going well, I'm not sure I'd trust him to get me out of a dangerous situation. As it was, my friend was the one who took charge during my near-incapacitation, and I'm quite sure he saved my life that day. What a way to start a new year!! :)

Last edited: