Exped Wallcreeper PL - Versatile Gear - Jacket, Parka, Sleeping Bag, & Overbag in One

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
Exped Wallcreeper PL - Versatile Gear - Jacket, Parka, Sleeping Bag, & Overbag in One

I was at a recent Outdoor Retailer show and was really impressed by the versatility of this piece of equipment:

Exped Wallcreeper PL

The PL stands for PrimaLoft, but it is also available in a down version. I'm partial to the synthetic version though. This is one damn versatile piece of gear. Makes me wish I hadn't purchased my synthetic parka last year.

This thing can be pulled out on a winter day hike at a rest stop, and put on to stay warm. With the arm holes zipped closed, it can serve as a winter emergency sleeping bag (used inside an emergency blanket style bivy bay). You won't be comfortable at -30F, but you would very likely survive. The bungee at the bottom can be tucked under and secured around the waist to create a parka. The Wallcreeper can be used by itself as a summer sleeping bag. Can also be used as an overbag for planned winter overnights, but yet still affording you the flexibility of taking the Wallcreeper with you on day hikes from your winter base camp. It has pockets, integrated hood, etc.

This is a great solution to a good topic that was raised last year. The question was, what is the better "sh*t hits the fan" equipment to carry on a winter day hike? A sleeping bag, or a parka and fleece pants. I think it was John Swanson who made an excellent point that a sleeping bag might be good for spending a cold, unanticipated night out, but that you couldn't move in it. You couldn't cover much ground while in your sleeping bag. If you were injured and able to move only slowly, and hence not able to generate much body heat, the parka and fleece pants seems like the better option. In the end, that's what I went for, but boy do I wish I had seen this last year.

John

I'm glad you had a chance to check the bag out, I've been looking at it as part of a quest to find a decent bag for paddling.

Hows the toe box insulated when the cord is drawn closed?

Does the Main zipper have a decent draft tube? The arm zippers?

This bag came up sometime last week in one the sleeping bag discussions.

FOr those who like the idea but want more warmth or lightness, Feathered Friends makes two models like this in down.

Warren,

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to look at it thoroughly at the show. It wasn't until I got home with the catalog that it really peaked my interest. Your questions are the same ones I had. I think they are a partner with (or perhaps distributed through) Outdoor Research, so they may be able to answer your questions.

John

Last edited: