Fall Gathering 9.9999999 - Sep 21-23 White Birches

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gillian said:
....what? not like like Jimmy Somerville! oh, I think MichaelJ is confused...because this was THE best band in the 80s.... ;)
Nope. The The, with a close second being The Smiths. I think you would like Bronski Beat, and the Communards. MichaelJ: no way I believe that you don't like those bands.

And Dave, I got Real Life and (shudder) a Duran Duran tune wrong :eek: . I think I got most of the rest of them. Best part was that giggy wouldn't admit it was his CD until we said we liked it :rolleyes: FWIW, I have all of those songs. Big British invasion fan. By the way, How soon Is now? ;)

Lastly, giggy, no 80's mix at an outdoor gathering is complete without The Church's "Under the Milky Way". Shame on you :cool:

Sherpa, all is not lost! You have an opportunity to rectify that Duran Duran scandalous mistake, and Matts I can't wait to hear that Jimmy rendition Live, when we pop into the Phoenix Landing...stay tuned...Not sure if there will be any metal...sorry giggy :D

well - the Church ( saw live living room, prov, RI 1988 or 1989) and The The (saw live venus de milo, boston, 1993) rank up there with Echo and Bunnymen (saw live 1987 great woods), Bauhaus (to young for that!) , etc... - yea, they are 80's, but its not that synth pop keyboard stuff - and quite frankly - its better stuff, but not really the same.

Echo & Bunnymen are probably my favorite band of all time - still going strong too - new stuff is just as good as old stuff.

had to make an executive decison on what to include on the CD!

Last edited:
Good god. Pixies!

Hello???

I know, I know I wasn't there (wishing I was...).

Where exactly did Bauhaus end and Joy Division begin. All that 80's art school shite sucked (or at least as I've been told by my elders) but convention dictates that there should be some demarcation between the two.

giggy said:
Bauhaus (to young for that!) , etc... - yea, they are 80's, but its not that synth pop keyboard stuff - and quite frankly - its better stuff, but not really the same.

Gillian said:
....what? not like like Jimmy Somerville! oh, I think MichaelJ is confused...because this was THE best band in the 80s.... ;)

Oh, not confused at all. This just wasn't my style of music back then, nor was it of the friends I ran with, so I never got into it at the time.

Music for me is very associative, and hearing 80s music brings back waaaaaaaay too many "non-optimal" memories. :eek:

Enjoyed it like the other 9.00000 Gatherings. Thanks all, for the fun time.

Despite all my hiking in the Whites this was the first time I hiked out of Appalachia and King Ravine had long been on my to-do list. Have to chuckle at the memory of lingering later at the trailhead as bubba and I diplomatically extolled the virtues and wisdom of VFTT and the Gathering to a hiker new to the sport and to the area ... our superlatives were endless, and well deserved y'all, but I couldn't help but wonder if our credibility was at all diminished as we sat on the tailgate with the traditional tequila shooters.

Seeker, you need to hike with Stan sometime. It's his tradition, one in which his hiking partners are happy to partake! :D