Favorite New York Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blackdome in the Catskills. There are great views, lots of wildlife, great fishing in the stream going up the south slope, and good hunting too. I guess it could just be that I have been hiking on that mountain for most of my life, and it brings back lots of memories. I also have a friend who lives at the base of the Blackhead Range so it might also be because I stay there sometimes.

-Colvin for the Lower Ausable lake views and of the great range.
-Haystack rocked
-Saddleback for the steep climb.
-Couchsachraga just met some really nice people that day.

Fav peaks

In the Catskills I am very partial to Wittenberg and Cornell. I love Bruins Causeway and this wasthe site of my first trip to the Catskills. Also, Rocky, just because the summit is so pretty and the Views over the hUdsen Valley so nice.

In the Adirondacks I love Marshall. I've been up there about 4 times or so. I was beguiled by the Herbert Brook approach the first time, and every time since. Also I enjoy the trap dike approach to Colden.

There are too many good times to recall.

Where would you rather be then right here, right now.

That's easy...

...Stewart Mtn, in the Sentinel Range. And it's such a short hike from the Whiteface ski area parking lot. Sentinel itself is a close second. You might try them both in the same day for an unforgettable experience.
Oh, did I mention that I like thick scrub?

I'm with Alpine Summit - heres a vote for Little Haystack. always alone because all the other hikers want to reach the big one. and you're front row cetner for Haystack and Marcy and Basin and yep...list goes on and on. love it. going there memorial day weekend. please dont join me :p

peace,
Oysterhead

noonmark for its view of the great range and giant. its a great view for a little climb. I'll also mention hurricane and giant for their panoramic views.

Oldsmores has it right:

"The one I'm standing on . . ."

Otherwise (among the High Peaks), Mount Colden.

G.

It took me a long time to pick my three favorite High Peaks for the Forty-Sixers, but I finally settled on 1) Colden, 2) Couchsachraga, and 3) Allen. I might be inclined to move Colden down the list now. My favorite Adirondack hike might be the Dix Range loop from Elk Lake.

Return trips to Couchie and Allen post-46er confirmed those selections.

I've only climbed two in the Catskills, the two 4000-footers. Hunter was too long ago to remember clearly, and Slide was nothing special, other than quick to climb. If I'd been alone on the Slide hike, it might have been my fastest ascent of a 4K. That doesn't necessarily make a mountain a favorite.

Gothics.

The view is unparalleled in my mind. Lots of cracks and crevasses to explore too...