Few trivia questions for the hiking historians

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some photos:
top05.jpg

a12.jpg

-dave-

I agree with those who note that Mt. Tom had few views before the past couple of decades; I do not remember any views in the late 1960s, when the spur trail was essentially a bushwhack. I also agree with those who attribute the standing dead and blown down trees to be the result of fir waves. Someone with the last name Spiegel did his PhD at Yale in the 1960s on fir waves in the Whites, which I believe was summarized with an article in the AMC's journal Appalachia. What I remember from Spiegel's work is that based on photographic evidence fir waves pre-date the 1938 hurricane throughout the Whites, and that trees in fir waves initially die standing up. Although the Hurricane of 1938 and more recent storms may have exploited the fir waves by blowing down the standing dead trunks, the Ice Storm of January of 1998 did not, as it only affected trees between 2000 and 3000 ft in elevation across the Whites, depending on the area.

http://tiee.ecoed.net/vol/v1/figure_sets/disturb/disturb_back4.html

whoops, the Yale PhD's name is Sprugel, not Spiegel. At the bottom of the article in the link above is a Journal of Ecology 1976 reference, so my guess is that the Appalachia synopsis sticking in my brain is from around the same time frame. As you can see from the article, Sprugel's main test site was Whiteface in N.Y., although he also carried out studies in the Whites and in Maine.

kerry13 said:
Was hoping someone might have answers to a few questions I have not been able to find answers to.

1. What event caused all the tree damage on the summit of Mt Tom?
2. How did Thunderstorm Junction (TJ) get its name?
3. Why is the cairn at TJ so large?

Thanks in advance

1) WIND
2) BIG BOLTS FROM GOD
3) Mt Adams is really just one GIGANTIC CAIRN!

...and you are supposed to add a rock to the top of the Thunderstorm trail junction cairn every time you safely pass by....its the "sherpa" way.... :)

What? ...you mean you have NOT added a rock???? :eek:
...then you better watch out for the bolts...! ;)

Mt. Tom: December 1988?

Although I don't get out as much as HikerEd (who does?), I was out there before him and my first two trips happened to bracket the major event associated with the now-excellent views from Mt. Tom.
In July 1987, I was just beginning my quest for the 4000-footers and couldn't resist the lure of a three-fer trip to Field, Willey and Tom. At that time, Field had excellent 180-degree views of the Pemi (and the trail headed straight for Willey from the summit instead of the sideways start of today). When we got to the start of the Mt. Tom Spur, half the group stayed there not wanting to bother with the extra 0.6 mile each way. I soon learned why: the summit of Mt. Tom was as wooded and viewless as Owl's Head; this one was strictly for the peakbaggers.
In October of 1989, I came back with a friend who had joined me a bit late on my 4Ks and since I was done, I went back to these three with him. Imagine my surprise to find hordes of people ascending and descending the Mt. Tom Spur. Sure it was Columbus Day weekend, but still. I had warned my friend that there was nothing to see up there and was stunned to find that the summit now boasted one of the best views of the range (it would unfortunately be years before I discovered - in summer anyway - the complementary eastern views from just below the summit).
While it does appear to be getting even better over time, most of the improvement happened between July 1987 and October 1989. My inquiries at the time were answered by talk of a December 1988 storm but I can't offer solid evidence for that particular event.