Field Kit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYBRAD

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone has in their bag of tricks, or
"Oh Shi* Kit" :eek: , as I like to call it. :eek:
Mine varies on the time of year, but here are some things I carry most of the time.
4 Quarters , 4 plastic Zip cable ties, and some duck tape wrapped around a pencil.

What do you carry, that you hope ya don't have to use....

Basic 1st aid supplies....duct tape wrapped around an epi-pen....waterproof matches and a zip-loc baggie of dryer lint which makes excellent kindling.

hilldog said:
duct tape wrapped around an epi-pen

One part of the protocol before the use of an epi-pen (the CT state and the national registry protocol and other state protocols) is to check that the medicine in the pen is not cloudy, crystallized or discolored. I am just curious how you check yours with duct tape around it? This would strike me as especially important considering the temperature extremes that this pen probably goes through. Epi's are not tolerant of freezing temps and temps that are over 80 or so for any extended period of time.

Just wondering,
Keith

saremt40....good question....its actually just an old, already expired epi-pen. But now that you bring it up.....it would probably be a better idea to switch the duct-tape to something else....thanks.

I've carried (and used) just about everything mentioned here but the one thing I haven't used yet is my emergency blanket.
Frankly, I hope I don't have to use it.

Duct tape on trekking poles,
1 roll sterile gauze,
Handfull of vitamin I,
Roughly 10-15 ft of extra 3 mm accessory cord,
Emergency blanket,
Iodine and clarifying tabs,
2 lighters and 4-6 solid fuel tabs double ziplocked.

I think I'm going to add the zip-ties to my kit, great idea.

I've used all of them at one time or another...

Seperate from my med kit.

P-cord, two lighters (Bic), super glue, plastic zip ties, small tube of Seam Sealer, the oldest untouched PowerBar in human history and two O-rings (rubber replacements) for my stove.

Duct tape on my H2O bottles.

Peace.

One time i went hiking with the boyscouts. My first aid kit consisted of a band-aid.

I usually bring the usual first aid. Pencil with duct tape. Extra Ace bandage, extra moleskin. Baby tylenol. Mini swiss army. I'm a gram weeney.

-chris

I think I am on track (Great thread) with most of the stuff mentioned except the cable ties. (I'll add those straightaway)

There are several other things I keep with me (BTW, This Oh Sh*t pack goes with me everywhere in the backcountry - even to the latrine.)

1/2 dozen butterscotch hard candies
1 Gluestick (from gluegun) can be lit like a p-tec stick and melted on thermarest or boot soles (or skis)
1/2 dozen "Penguins" or Espresso candies, in case I ever really need the caffeine
3 cough drops (for those really really cold dry winter nights)
1 Easton Alum Tent Pole Repair sleeve (Glue stick can be stored inside)
2 toe heat packs (winter only)
2 pieces 24"x24" of aluminum foil (could form into a cup if I lost everything needed to build a fire and make hot water to drink)
Small 1.5 oz blue emergency procedure booklet (covers most backcountry situations)
1 small earbud radio
1 small photon III light

I keep all of this in a small sylnylon stuffsack and I keep another small sylnylon stuffsack inside as well, in case I ever need a spare pair of mittens or VBL socks. All of this finally goes into a gallon ziplock.
It sounds like a lot, but it is (with all the other stuff mentioned in the other posts, about 16-18 ounces)

BTW, I read this tip about not being able to open an Emergency blanket when cold so I have opened and re-packed my Emergency blankets so I can open them even while shivering.

My 1st ais kit now goes in a zip lock and only has band-aids, moleskin, tweezers, and scissors. I carry iodine tablets in case my filter packs in. I always carry an extra bite valve for my hydration bag's hose and have duct tape around a pencil too. (I got it here!) I like some of the other stuff listed above. I used to carry a bunch of other items in a tupperwear container but never, ever used it so it finally got the boot. Now that they weigh about nothing and you can get em cheap at W-mart I was thinking of carrying 2 headlamps.

Excellent Rick, I'd hike with you anytime!

Great items folks,
Before Bear cans I used to carry a thin 6ft section of 1/8in steel cable with 2 loops on each end. It would attach to the end of my bear rope, wrap it around the tree and extend up and away towards the bag. Thus no rope at the tie off point. Seemed to work....

Starter paste in winter can be key, as well as a large plastic bag for collecting clean snow away from trees and camp.

Last edited:
I have two types my winter one and my year round one. I like to carry in my year round kit is:
small note pad with pencil
Extra compass
Iodine Tabs
TP
sewing kit
Extra batteries and head lamp
quarters
emergency blanket
Duck tape
shoe lace
matches
fire starter things
MRE
extra contact lenses
My winter one containes
Wire ties
nuts and bolts
Small screw driver and pliers
Leather snowshoe strap
wire

Last edited:
NYBRAD,

I'm curious about the four quarters. Are those for a phone call? Or are they in case you get trapped in an avalanche, you put the four quarters together to create a whole, and then climb out through the hole?

Also, for those who do carry mylar emergency blankets, I would suggest inspecting them at least every six months or so. I have seen more than one "rot" out. The result is that when you open them up, the blanket sticks to itself, making it nearly impossible to open it without tearing it to pieces.

John

My favorite items are a magnesium fire starter, and trioxane fuel bars. I can have a fire going in any weather. Plus all the 1st aid stuff, and extra socks and gloves.

tiny first aid kit
little compass
a few plastic twist ties
gold space blanket (not to keep me warm, just to make me THINK it will keep me warm!)
kitchen matches dipped in paraffin
home made firestarter (paraffin in egg carton section)
iodine tabs
old food bar (I do trade it out occasionally)
little orange book called "You alone in the woods"

As for that last item, I've carried it for over 20 years, hiking or hunting. It's mostly just to give me something to read while I'm calming down from the initial "AAAGGHHHH! I'm LOOOSSSTTT!" feeling. Also, it will burn. Haven't had to use it yet. ;)

Duct tape is on water bottle.

Thanks Brad!!!!

Mad Townie, As far as that book goes, that's exactly why I carry my little blue book - 1-extra paper to write notes, 2- It has all the tips and common sense stuff, in case I ever really need some common sense, 3-Something to keep me calm and give me something to do (besides bite my fingernails) in the event I ever do get into trouble. :)

my most used item...

I don't put much faith in duct tape. It has let me down a few times.

the most used repair item I carry is dental floss. As anyone who hikes with me will confirm from seeing my pants, I get alot of sewing practice between hikes. So I often volunteer to do the sewing repairs in the field.

I have made a field repair to a pack shoulder strap on the summit of saddleback, ME in -5F with 20mph winds. 8 stitches and 4 knots. Ed told me it held for 6 months.

Then there was the rainpants side zip that failed on the Pliny ridge in deep wet powder. Quickly sewed up the full leg length and knotted it off at brush level with about 8 knots (to protect against wear) Don called me to tell me he could get the floss out when he got home.

There are other stories, but I like those two the best, because they were in winter.

Thread and knot the needle at home with a good 20" of doubled floss. Waxed is preferred. Bring an extra needle or two they weigh nothing

JHS