First time in the ADK's this October

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Hello,
I am planning a road trip through NY in early October and I was thinking I would spend a few nights up in the mtns. Does anyone have any information on huts in the area. Along with that, any suggestions for hikes. My girlfreind and I are always up for a challange, so are there any must-experience trails. I have always heard of the Grand Traverse and how interesting that was. Any suggested smaller sections of this recommended? Thanks for the help...

Jkrew81 said:
Hello,
I am planning a road trip through NY in early October and I was thinking I would spend a few nights up in the mtns. Does anyone have any information on huts in the area. Along with that, any suggestions for hikes. My girlfreind and I are always up for a challange, so are there any must-experience trails. I have always heard of the Grand Traverse and how interesting that was. Any suggested smaller sections of this recommended? Thanks for the help...
The closest thing to the AMC huts is the JBL ( http://www.adk.org/johns_brook/index.aspx ) or you can stay at the Adirondack Loj ( http://www.adk.org/ad_loj/index.aspx ), in a variety of ways, or there are also lean-tos, camp grounds, etc.

If you want my 2 cents on great ADK Peaks:

Algonquin
Marcy
Gothics
Cascade
Colden

And the rest of the 46 as well! :D

There aren't any "huts" in the Adirondacks comparable to the hut system in the Whites. There are lean-tos, but if you don't want to camp there are a few other options. Just keep in mind that for early October you should make reservations now.
Adirondack Loj is the large facility run by the ADK, outside of Lake Placid. It has private rooms, a couple of cabins, and some lean-tos that can be reserved.
ADK also runs a backcountry facility (Johns Brook Lodge) that has bunkrooms, a couple of cabins, and a couple of leantos available.
My choice based on the info you've provided would be The Hostel in Keene Valley. Very nice facility with a bunkroom, kitchen facilities, showers. It's $20/night/person, including linens and use of the laundry facilities. Nice people run it, and can also handle shuttle transportation. From there you've got great options for day hikes. The "must-experience" trails I'd recommend are either Rocky Peak Ridge/Giant or all or part of the Great Range. Both start from trailheads near Keene Valley (Rocky Peak is best done spotting a car at the Giant end with a shuttle to take you to the east trailhead). The Range has several options through Johns Brook. I'd vote for Haystack-Basin-Saddleback as the most spectacular section.
Buy the ADK High Peaks guidebook and start picking trails. Enjoy!

IMO the Dix Range is a great place to start. This will help you avoid heavy crowds. Views are fantastic.

Outside of the High Peaks. Consider a loop over Round and Noonmark in Keene Valley. Mount Adams is also a gem located in the heart of the High Peaks.

The Great Range traverse is a *very* long day - harder than it looks. See my trip report from a week ago. The most scenic peaks in the range are at the western end - Haystack and Marcy. (Though anything from Armstrong westward will have its defenders.) Getting to those two from Keene Valley is a pretty long trudge even if you approach on the flat valley trail; consider an alternate trailhead (eg, the Loj - still a substantial hike) or see if you can get a campsite.
Expect crowds at the trailheads, in the campsites, and on the best-known peaks.

Must Do (requiring a hut):

Stay at ADK Loj, then hike through Avalanche pass to Lake Colden. Up and over Algonquin (a flume trail) and stop by Wright on the way out if you have time/energy. Nice water fall on the trail down Algonquin which provides some nourishment if you have a filter/tablets.

Me thinks ~10 miles R/T. 3600+ ft. elevation change.

-percious

Wights & Algonquin loop are a must with Avalanche Lake

Marcy is good, state highest not as hard as you might think a 15 mile hike should be.

I like looking at Great Range, especially Gothics so Three Brothers & Big Slide is a favorite too.

Colden very nice

IMO Haystack is my favorite in ADK's. A long loop (long getting in) hitting Saddleback, Basin & Haystack may me the most wow in the park although adding Iroquois to Wright & Algonquin on a good day maybe even better

I have not done the classic Rocky Peak Ridge & Giant from Route 9 but I have been on the summits, they are very worthwhile & I understand a fair number of views below also when approaching from Route 9.

percious said:
Stay at ADK Loj, then hike through Avalanche pass to Lake Colden. Up and over Algonquin (a flume trail) and stop by Wright on the way out if you have time/energy.

Me thinks ~10 miles R/T. 3600+ ft. elevation change.

For the record, the maps put it at about twelve. I did Algonquin last week, but took a pass (sorry!) on doing the loop. The "Mountain Steward" at the top said the slope from Algonquin peak to Avalanche Pass was VERY steep. It was a gorgeous hike, although the waterfall was just a (pretty) trickle.

I was thinking Giant or Gothics would be a dramatic hike, with the slides-&-all.

--M.

I hiked from Heart Lake to Upper works by going up over Algonquin a few weeks ago, and the trail down the south side of Algonquin to Lake Colden was indeed very steep. It was also very wet, with water running down the trail for most of its length.

For some lesser visited ADK Peaks, I would strongly recomend checking out Skylight or Rocky Peak Ridge from the east. Both are definately tough day hikes but the views are worth it.

Any of the exposed summits are winners, and I also liked the recommendations outside the High Peaks. For dramatic scenery with lots of steep rock, some of the options are Avalanche Pass (maybe the Trap Dike, if you're technically inclined; Gothics; Haystack; Indian Pass with views of Wallface.

(Like in the Whites, be prepared for some ice here and there high up in early October. About twenty years ago, we barely made it up and down Haystack in the first week in October. It looked like a glazed donut.)

TCD