Fitness levels and training (What the HECK!!?)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you're probably right. I bought an off-the-shelf bike as is. Not custom fit by any means. I guess if I wanted to be an avid biker, then I'd go through the whole process of making sure everything's just right, including the seat.

You bikers who ride year round....that's dedication.

Yeah, you're probably right. I bought an off-the-shelf bike as is. Not custom fit by any means. I guess if I wanted to be an avid biker, then I'd go through the whole process of making sure everything's just right, including the seat.
Seats are adjustable and replaceable if the current one does not fit. Seat posts can also be raised or lowered.

Having your bike properly sized and fitted can make a big difference. Howto can be found in any of a number of books or visit a bike shop.

Doug

My first inclination was more of "Too bad, you never had a properly sized, fitted and adjusted bicycle." I have 40,000+ miles under my "junk" without problems (March will be 15 years of 50 miles+ per month including all winter.) I wouldn't want aspiring cyclists to be put off by this.

People in Florida ride highway overpasses and into the wind for additional resistance, considering the HP is 345 feet.

Tim

I thought of this too but didn't want to drift the thread any more than it has - But since you brought up the subject and it appears we're well past that point anyway....

I suffered from this problem in my late teens early 20s. My dad bought me the bike when I was 15, a very comfortable Cannondale 700R. By the time I was 20 I had grown (and raised the seat) just enough that my seat/stem heights were out of whack though I had only grown an inch or so over that time. I went from riding 50-60 mile rides in the mountains with zero discomfort to not being able to ride 15 miles without my junk going numb. :eek:

Proper bike fit makes a HUGE difference in comfort. And now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

Sheldon has the word on saddle pain, of course. I could have sworn Nokian made a 28mm studded tire, but apparently not. (Trashmos are the way to go in winter, anyhow.)

Sheldon was a wealth of knowledge and an all around good person. I spent many hours at Harris Cyclery chatting with Sheldon. Harris is still my go to shop.

Weird how a fitness thread on a hiking forum shifted into a discussion about Sheldon.

Hikes-with-him,

Another thing I forgot to mention....once again, not preaching to you about what you should and shouldn't do, just throwing this out there in case you're interested. Rest/recovery/sleep. If I work out hard six days a week, then get up at 3am on the seventh day, drive 4 hours to Appalachia, and start walking up Adams, it's not gonna be pleasant. I used to think if I went a day or two without running, hiking, or weights, somehow I would fall out of shape. Dead wrong. Now I know the value of a day or two of total laziness. I've done the over-training thing, now I know better. Everyone's body reacts differently, but that's what works for me.

Also, ask Hikes-with-her to carry some of your stuff.