Flags on the 48, 2006 September 9th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentCal

Reaction score
Flags on the 48 September 9th 2006

On Sept. 9, 2006, the 5th annual "Flags on the 48" memorial hike to the summit of each of the 48 - 4,000 foot summits in New Hampshire, will take place in memory of those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001.

The first hike was an informal and spontaneous memorial by a group of six hikers moved by the horrific and detailed images of the attacks. They raised a large American flag on the first Saturday after the attacks from the summit of Mount Liberty. The tribute has grown significantly each year since it began in 2001. In September 2004, for the first time since the event officially began, all 48 summits hosted Old Glory.

Word spread and now hundreds of hikers are involved; from Boy Scout troops and veterans’ groups to the every-day hikers. They make their way to the summits before noon paying tribute by flying the American flag for two hours. With humble honor some hikers share the photos of family members and friends tragically lost, exchange stories of personal experiences, play peaceful music and make quiet conversation with passing hikers. These Americans are bonded in the belief that taking to the mountains in remembrances of those who lost their lives continues to bring some solace in the wake of this atrocious violence.

Again this year, memorial hikers will pay tribute to all who lost their lives on September 11th 2001. Collectively imparting sympathy and respect to the families and loved one’s who still struggle with their grief.

More information for this event can be found at Flagsonthe48.org

Thanks to everyone who has particpated in the past and willing to help out with this year's hike. Any Questions, please feel free to pm me.

Last year was my first flags on the 48. It will be tough to beat last years weather, but perhaps those being honored will look down again and lend a hand. I had the opportunity to be on Monroe when they raised the flag there and on Eisenhower when they lowered that one. It is a fine tribute and a worthy event.

I'm honored to participate in this rich and rewarding event each year. This year I'm stepping off Mount Cabot so the Boy Scouts can enjoy camping at Unknown Pond and raise our flag on the summit.

Flags on the 48 website.

flags on the 48

I would love to participate again this year. I hope my brother, a retired NYPD sargent who was on the site immediately following the crashes, can get some of his "brothers " to come and join us.

I won't be able to make it this year as I'll be living in Oregon by then. Hopefully I can convince my dad to go back. He made a nice flag rigging system that we used on North Kinsman, which was a GREAT peak for this event, by the way. If it's still available, take it. Hope you guys have the same phenomenal weather this year as last.

SilentCal said:
Flags on the 48 September 9th 2006

On Sept. 9, 2006, the 5th annual "Flags on the 48" memorial hike to the summit of each of the 48 - 4,000 foot summits in New Hampshire, will take place in memory of those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001.
See you Saturday! I've got dibs on TOM! :D

Team B&B will plan for signup (undisclosed peak) on July 10th 6PM!
Flag and poles are ready to roll!

Brownie-

FOT48
South Twin 2005
Lincoln 2004

Chip said:
The Chip Clan has Jackson. We've got a room at the Beacon friday night and are looking to camp saturday night with any and all who will be camping.

I just signed up for Mount Jefferson's Coordinater. I need some help. Where's the Beacon?? How about some Crawford Notch camping Saturday Night!

The Beacon is in Lincoln on 3 north of town, just below Indian Head. It's a great place to leave the famile if they decide against the hike.
Crawford Notch Saturday night would be great for us. There's a chance we may camp between Jackson and Pierce at Nauman tentsites or in Mizpah Spring Hut, but that would require perfect conditions for my wife and boys.

I really enjoyed this event last year. In a strange way, it felt like we were doing something positive through all the confusion to remember in our own individual ways, while paying our respects as a collective group. Thanks again to Silent Cal and all others who organize this. I'll be on Monroe, if anyone wants to join me.

I raised The Flag from Isolation during this event a few years ago. It was quite an experience. The other hikers on the peak that did not know about the event beforehand also commented very postively about how being on the peak during the event helped them remember the losses on that day.

On another note: I have an American flag on my veteran license plates, a flag sticker on my car's rear window. There is a Flag flying from the front of my house. There is a small Flag in my office. I have a Flag patch on two of my three backpacks. I think I will go and get another Flag patch for my day pack. I have an American Flag (and a Canadian Flag) hanging in my basement (near the hockey gear). I have even flown a small flag on my tent. I think I might get a tattoo.....

Woody

jade said:
with all due respect .....

SNIP

...jade

Jade,
Flags on the 48 is a Memorial hike and flag fly event in honor of those innocent people who lost thier lives on that tragic September 11th day.

However, some may view it as political. That is of course up to the individual, because this is after all America and we have the right to free speech.
We have that right as a result of standing up for what we believe in and creating this country of freedom.
I don't agree with your statements, but I respect your integrity.

Please,
I encourage you to join a group and fly a national flag which helps you to cope with your lost friend as well.

Also,
Please read the rules for VFTT as far as political statements go.
Your comments will probably be deleted by moderators, as well as this whole thread getting locked I am sure.
VFTT Rules

Last edited:
As Frodo mentioned...this is a Memorial Hike.

Whether you choose this event or another manner to remember 9/11 , I think it is important TO REMEMBER.

Hope to see you all there that week-end!

Peace.

Jade - I don't think you lost freinds here - its just not everyone feels the same way you do and are expressing themselves as you did in your post. You couldn't honestly think that post wouldn't stir some debate?

Just because I felt its a disgrace, does not mean I don't support your right to say that and might even agree with some of what your saying. but.........

I am an American and I live in America and I choose to fly the American flag, not the Iraqi flag and not the "world flag" on the 48 event. The American flag represents much more to me than the last 5 years. Mostly, it means respect to my 85 year old grandfather, who was at pearl harbor when it was attack in 1941 - and is still alive to tell the stories about that day.

Also remember, not everyone is in agreement the America has erred either.

SilentCal,Jaytrek, etc.. are doing a good positive event here, that in my opinion has nothing to with GWB, etc..

Last edited:
Chip said:
The Chip Clan has Jackson. We've got a room at the Beacon friday night and are looking to camp saturday night with any and all who will be camping.

Hey Chip Clan!
We'll be with you on Jackson, contact us if you need anything. This will be our third year in a row, a great event, great people and a day never to forget.

Last edited: