Flat trek/overnight in the Whites???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,

I want to get into the woods this Saturday for an overnight with my girl-friend. That said, after dragging her up Mt. Lafayette last weekend, she isn't in the mood for large elevation gains :rolleyes:

I'm looking for a relatively flat hike with a good camping in the Whites. I was thinking about 13 Falls or something similar, but would love some suggestions. We would like to be near water, as the weather is supposed to be hot!

Thoughts/Ideas???

Thanks,

Bryan

Bridal Veil Falls in the Kinsmans...

Relatively easy hike via the Coppermine Trail (roughly 1100 foot elevation gain over 2.5 miles), much of it along a beautiful stream, to a lovely waterfall.

There is a shelter there -- can't vouch for how early you'd need to arrive to score a space. I think there is also tenting space, though it's been a long time since I have been there.

Another possibility: Greeley Ponds Trail from the Waterville Valley end. Note that camping is prohibited within the Greeley Ponds Scenic area, but I am sure you could find a suitable spot (the appropriate distance off the trail, of course) anywhere along the first couple of miles before the Scenic Area begins. The trail is easy, mostly flat walking, with an elevation gain of about 700 feet from Livermore Road to the Ponds. There are numerous short side-hikes off the main trail for good views, too.

Flat Mountain Pond. Beautiful pond, nice lean-to with grassy area for lounging or for tents, nearly-flat hike in on old logging railroad (I went from Jose's Bridge). Only thing you can't do is swim; the pond is chock full o' leeches.

Consider a hike along the Wild River in Evans Notch. I believe the shelters are still in place (it is now a designated Wilderness Area). The terrain is easy-rolling, especially if you begin from the Wild River Campground, and there are plenty of river views and opportunities to cool off.

-vegematic

Yup, what TB said

trailbiscuit said:
Ethan Pond Shelter via Zealand. Shelter and tent platforms at the pond. Also a number of campsites near Thoureau Falls Trail.
That would be my first choice. Spend some time dabbling in the cacades near the hut, steal some brownies and lemonade. Head on down to the Thoreau Falls slabs (via the WW slide view) for a late lunch (don't camp there the skeeters will eat you alive in those pines off the water). Take a bona-fide dip in the big creek at 'the spot' about a third of the way from T. Falls to Ethan Pond. Then watch the sun go down from the shelter. Next day could hit Arethusa on the way out. Virtually zero elevation gain cept for the tiny little climb right before the hut at beginning of trek.

I think Ethan Pond via Zealand Road may be the ticket. I've been to Zealand Hut/Falls before, but have always continued UP towards Zealand and over to the bonds. It seems like a nice valley hike with a few good spots along the way to entertain, heading over to Ethan...

How is the camping at Ethan, and assuming we get there after the hoards heading in from Crawford, would there be adequate space off trail to set up camp if the designated sites were taken? Standard $8?

Also, how is shoal pond, and are there any decent tent sites at that spot?

Thanks for all the input!

Bryan

Another great one is the wilderness trail all the way to or past Stillwater. The Wilderness Trail turns into a beautiful path along the East Branch and gets much more remote on the way to Stillwater. I think it is undervalued. There aren't really any campsites along the trail at Shoal, I think the forest service wants it that way because of how sensitive the area is, but plenty near by. -Mattl

HikingBryan said:
How is the camping at Ethan, and assuming we get there after the hoards heading in from Crawford, would there be adequate space off trail to set up camp if the designated sites were taken? Standard $8?
Off the top of my head I can't remember how many tent platforms there are, but my guess is 5. As one AMC caretaker once told me (paraphrasing): "We never turn anyone away. We will find an overflow spot if need be." Yes to the $8.