FLECTOR Patch for local, acute pain experience ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I have occasional, almost free-floating, non-injury, severe pain in my feet and Achilles tendon. It's some sort of temporary inflamation that must pinch nerves or something. Regular exercise and orthotics help, but it still occurs.

My wife is a RN in Pain Management and recently went to a dinner sponsored by the drug rep for the Flector Patch.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this as it looks like something I might want to carry. No need to warn me about NSAIDs, I was a Vioxx fan and understand. Thanks

"FLECTOR® Patch is a prescription topical treatment for acute (short-term) pain due to minor strains, sprains, and contusions (bruises).

When you apply FLECTOR® Patch to undamaged skin at the site of a minor strain, sprain, or bruise, it releases a drug called diclofenac epolamine. Diclofenac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), the same class of drugs that includes ibuprofen and naproxen. These drugs relieve pain and inflammation."

Last edited:
If oral diclofenac helps you, the Flector Patch should be a good choice.
Mixed reviews on its effacacy from the guys I work with. I was given a sample of the stuff after my shoulder surgery in April. I didn't think it did much good, but I don't love Diclofenac either. I was a Vioxx fan too.
If you can get your hands on a sample, give it a try.

Flector patch may be expensive based on your prescription plan. As with any patch medication, absorption is based body temp. Lower body temp means less absorption and higher body temps mean more absorption. Oral diclofenac is usually cheap,

I have had good results from it for various issues with my lower extremities. HOWEVER, I found that I had adverse reactions if I used more than half a patch at a time. YMMV.

I've never tried Diclofenac, that I know of. Vioxx, certainly, and to a much lesser degree Naproxen, helps when I get this. Corticosteroids wipe it out immediately, but no Doc would prescribe them for this, due to longer term side effects. Standard aspirin, ibuprofen, etc does not do anything. For some reason my RN/Pain Management wife is pretty excited about the Flector patch. Who knows, maybe the drug rep is cute. I'm sure I can get a sample. I will give it a try. Seems like it would be good to carry hiking and climbing, if it works.

Daxs, the body heat thing was discussed. You are not to use these in conjunction with a heating pad or heat pack. I'd have to imagine there'd be enough body heat under the layers to use these in winter. We'll see. This pain is so sporadic and unpredictable that it's been difficult to diagnose/treat, at least to my satisfaction.

AMF: I know for a fact that these Flector patches are not to be cut/divided or doubled. Something about rates of absorption. They are designed specifically to be used whole and one at a time, only.

AMF: I know for a fact that these Flector patches are not to be cut/divided or doubled. Something about rates of absorption. They are designed specifically to be used whole and one at a time, only.

I know... but when I use a whole one the area of application becomes red and tingly. The first time it happened I was driving down the hiway and thought ants had crawled up my leg! My ortho said if half gave relief to go with that.

NSAIDS for acute pain doesn't seem to be the correct Rx in my mind. I would be looking more towards morphine and her derivatives.

:confused: You lost me. We can't get codeine in our tylenol here. Is that what you mean ? Perhaps that would work better than a NSAID, but acquisition is problematic. And no, I'm not asking.

For some reason my RN/Pain Management wife is pretty excited about the Flector patch. Who knows, maybe the drug rep is cute.

Chip: ALL drug reps are cute. They are hired because they are cute!!!!!!!!!
Good luck with the patch.
Sandy

Neil said:
NSAIDS for acute pain doesn't seem to be the correct Rx in my mind. I would be looking more towards morphine and her derivatives.
:confused: You lost me. We can't get codeine in our tylenol here. Is that what you mean ? Perhaps that would work better than a NSAID, but acquisition is problematic.
There are pain killers such as Percoset (oxycodone + acetaminophen (tylenol)) and Vicodin (hydrocodone + acetaminophen). A bit of web searching suggests that codeine + acetaminophen is also available. All, of course, require a prescription in the US.

I have no idea whether a doctor would consider the above drugs appropriate for your problem.

Doug