Flume Slide Trail 4.22.06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMagic

Reaction score
Ghostdog and I met New Hampshire and the Jeneral at the Basin Parking lot on the North side of I-93 just before 8:30. We walked a short distance south on the bike path then bushwhacked eastward, merging with the Liberty Springs Trail, which is part of the A.T. This saves about .8 of a mile each way that I discovered when exploring the area in 2001.

Our original route plan was the Liberty Spring Trail to Mt. Liberty and an out and back from Mt. Flume and descend the Liberty Spring Trail. Just before the junction of Flume Slide Trail, we decided to attempt Flume Slide, with Jen relating she is afraid of heights and steep ledges. This trail certainly has both with many foot and finger holds and scrambling up the extremely steep, bare ledges.

It was almost a 2 hour walk to the foot of the slide and a full 2 hours, including about an hour in crampons, to climb the 2450' elevation gain in just .7 of a mile up the very steep slide. This was a major milestone Jen and Brian as they had never scrambled up any slide for so long and so very steep. Most importantly, they had no fear and were most elated! On the trail we met Tim with 10 point ‘pons and Rob with just stabilicers who were about to descend the icy and wet Slide trail. Wow!

At the summit of Mt. Flume, we had a rest stop, took photos, drank water and crystal light, had a small snack, and I gave these brave companions hearty congratulations on their successful achievement to reach the summit by the difficult, slippery, and exhausting Flume Slide Trail. On to Mt. Liberty we proceeded wearing crampons, a few postholes along the way, stopping for a long rest on the summit, eating lunch, point out other mountains, and just soak in the spectacular 360° views.

We reluctantly left the summit for our return to the real world. Down the icy and hard-packed trail with crampons we descended to the tent platforms that had some blow downs and also on a railing. We looked in the log book and saw that Chickety passed by two days earlier. She and Posterboy completed GA->ME ’05.

The ice was mostly melted at about 3600’ so we removed the crampons, continued on until it was time to bushwhack back to the bike path. I congratulated Jen and Brian for a superb slide climb and reaching their 15th and 16th 4’k summits, with 33% of the 48 completed. Another wonderful day to hike in the mountains!!

Nice report!

I did the same hike in reverse on New Years Day and really enjoyed it. I'd like to follow your route and climb Flume Slide Trail. I'm sure it would be an interesting and fun hike.

Thanks for the information about the bushwhack shortcut :) .

Good job.

Earl

Flume Slide

Thanks for your great account, MtnMagic. I've done the Flume Slide only in summer but you've inspired me to try it at other times of the year as well. Glad that you had such a great time. I certainly know that reluctant feeling of leaving the summit and returning to the real world.

Regards,
Ray

You'll find the slide is actually easier in the winter with the traction of crampons. It really is a nice loop hike. Enjoy!

Alpinista, we just have to get in a hike this year. Perhaps next month at the Flags meeting weekend? I'll hike your pace, not a problem. Oh, this is a great loop hike with magnificent views!