For those interested or trained in wilderness first aid and CPR

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
The American Heart Association announced updated emergency care guidelines for CPR. The most significant change is the ratio of chest compressions to rescue breaths -- from 15 compressions and 2 breaths to 30 compressions and 2 breaths. The article is here:

Amereican Heart Association CPR guidelines

If this site is not accessible, let me know, I will copy and post the article if anyone is interested.

Wow. I wonder if the Red Cross will change their guidelines too. I renewed my Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer this past June and it was the same old same old 15:2. My sister took the Heart Association course a few months ago and it seemed much more in-depth and seemed to be more up to date than the Red Cross stuff.

tjanson said:
Wow. I wonder if the Red Cross will change their guidelines too. I renewed my Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer this past June and it was the same old same old 15:2. My sister took the Heart Association course a few months ago and it seemed much more in-depth and seemed to be more up to date than the Red Cross stuff.
This was reported on national news broadcasts a month or two ago. 30:2 is to be recommended (not yet, see below), but of course it will take a while to filter down to all the instructors.

http://www.redcross.org/static/file_cont4979_lang0_1757.pdf

"Note to Red Cross Instructors: These changes will be reflected in the revised materials to be released beginning in the spring of 2006. Red Cross instructors may not teach or adapt the current materials to reflect the new skills and guidelines."

Last edited:
There are changes to both BLS and ACLS. I just recerted in ACLS 2 weekends ago and they were still teaching and testing using the current standards. We reviewed the changes however. The class instructors told us the changes would not go into effect until sometime next year because all instructors need to be educated and trained, tests re-written and books and literature updated etc etc.