Fourth Iron Tentsite closed due to habituated black bear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The campground and beach are completely closed.

“One of the reasons that we closed the campgrounds so quickly is to try and minimize the human-bear conflict situation,” said Ranger Jessie Dubuque. “Bears are obviously very food driven. They’re main motivation is to pack on as many calories as possible before the winter.”

Sounds to me like a classic example of a fed bear being a dead bear. Tragic.

NH Fish and Game has observed that NH is and has been substantially exceeding the sustainable bear population for quite a while that they deem is acceptable to minimize bear human interactions. One former F&G director stated that there is a good chance that NH has never had a higher bear population. The population density is also flipped where the rural density is far lower than the populations near developed areas. Contrary to some PR, bear hunting is not very popular in the state and really has no significant population impact. Sows rarely have more than one or two cubs, suburban sows are routinely having 3 cubs. There really is no place to ship surplus bears in the state although Pittsburg is a popular area as the transported bears have a high likelihood of being driven to areas with less bear density like the adjacent Quebec province which reportedly has a much higher hunting pressure. Fish and Game employees have known this for years but from a PR perspective, its regarded as far more politically acceptable to expend a lot of resources to trap and truck bears to a potentially cruel fate being dropped off in an unknown area with a full resident bear population. The resident bears will defend their territory driving the introduced bear out. In most cases when the transported bears are tracked they are actively on the move long after the relocation and frequently head back to their original territory.

The national forest staff are not authorized to manage the bear population in NH, they can do things like install bear boxes and close campsites but if there is problem bear F&G are the ones that handle it. F&G are the ones that trap and truck and generally they only trap where they can drive.

Interesting. I would have thought there would be more hunters interested in harvesting a bear. But then again I don't know anything about hunting.

Interesting. I would have thought there would be more hunters interested in harvesting a bear. But then again I don't know anything about hunting.

I too am surprised by this. Bear hunting is a big deal in Maine and there have been a number of referendums on bear hunting methods (shooting over bait).

NH has the same seasons as Maine, stalking, baiting and dogs but it just does not seem to be that popular. The hunters I have known over the years were eat what they hunt versus trophy and most of them had shot a bear in their career but didnt continue to do so as the meat was not very palatable. Gamey and greasy are two terms I have heard but frequently that is as much the skinning and preparation of the game as the actual game. Bears also can carry a few parasites including trichinosis, so the meat needs to be well cooked which can lead to tough meat. I think a lot of it get ground and used mixed with beef or made into sausages, stews or chili.

Maine does have an active trophy bear hunting industry so the consumption issue is less important. I think a lot of the meat probably goes to feed the dogs. I just do not see a lot of comments about guided bear hunting in NH.

Last edited:
We've seen an uptick in bear activity in MWV. 4th iron seems to have this issue a lot.

And someone a few weeks back shot a mother bear somewhere in southern NH I think and left it to die. The three cubs were located and taken in by the Tamworth rehab center. Super sad that someone would do that assuming it wasn't a defensive situation (in which case you'd expect them to have contacted F&G).