Franconia Ridge Trail Between Liberty And Haystack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
At a real loss coming up with a hike for the weekend that "trips my trigger". Really shifted into Summer mode a few weeks ago and the return to Winter has been a real bummer. Was thinking about going up Liberty Spring Trail and taking FRT over to Little Haystack (and maybe add on Lincoln if weather and conditions are good). Never done that particular section of the trail. Does that section of the FRT get any use in the Winter? Wondering if I would actually need snowshoes considering the light traffic and the tendency for big snow drifts along that area, even after the light snow fall this year. Wondering if it will be a post hole fest if there isn't much of a track going through there. Not much in the way of info on trail reports for the area and I haven't been up to NH in about a month now.

If anyone has any feedback on the area and what I might expect it would be appreciated.

this is close and fairly recent:

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=25367

likely VERY icy especially after all this rain and the refreeze

Unlikely you would need snowshoes - there's just very little snow up there this year

I saw the reports on Liberty Trail. At least that section has plenty of trees and stuff if the ice is really bad. I was wondering more about the lesser traveled section to Haystack. One of the few places I saw decent snow depths this year was between Garfield and Galehead on GRT and this is in the same general area. And I guess there are some ledges just before reaching Little Haystack. No idea what the degree of difficulty is, particularly if they're icy.

It gets a fair share of use in winter. It is not a particularly scenic stretch, just a sustained hike through spruce fir woods. It is shaded so expect ice and occasional blowdown.