Free beer at Barnes Field on Saturday night, April 18th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contingency free beer plan

Thanks for the encouragement, all.

Given that all of the group sites at Barnes may be long gone by Saturday morning, our contingency plan is a shorter tail-gater party in the Stony Brook parking lot on Rt. 16, probably around 3ish to 4ish, as the start time is 8:30 a.m.

Plans for Woodstock Station on Saturday, May 2nd, 3-5 pm, remain the same.

Thanks, arm. I never got a call back from the USFS, so will see what I can "reserve" in person early Saturday morning, hoping that everything has not been taken by skiers.

Just a heads up...I got to Barnes early last friday (5:30ish)and many sites were already taken and half still have piles of snow which makes them small for our size groups.

Also Ranger left a note asking for $10 per car per night....not sure what's with that???? :mad:

The sign at the entrance also said $10 per car. You may want to check ahead of time????

congrats ahead, as I'll be busy hiking elsewhere...:eek:

Also Ranger left a note asking for $10 per car per night....not sure what's with that???? :mad:

In the summer, Barnes charges per site (with a fee for extra persons beyond some number) and takes reservations.
In the winter, Barnes is $10 per car per night and first-come-first-served.

Slight change in plans

We have decided to punt on the Barnes Field deal, as it is unlikely that we would be able to get a group site given all of the skiing events in the area this weekend.

Moriah hike still begins at Stony Brook Trail parking lot at 8:30 am, and there will still be free beer at the SBT parking lot around 3 to 4 pm on Saturday, and again at Woodstock Station about the same time on Saturday, May 2nd.

Many thanks to HikerEd and a merry band of his "grid-idiots" (a la Kevin Millar) for showing up for my 48x12 NH4s completion on Moriah today. I was presented one of Ed's grid patches on the summit, which are way cooler than the AMC patches, I think.

Becca Munroe also nabbed her 500th NH4. No. 8 grid completer Jim Towle was also present, as were my old-time hiking buddies Weedhopper and GHB, and on our way down we met DaveBear and Rocket21 on their way up on the upper and lower ledges, respectively. So, about 20 total, I think, along with three others and their three black dogs of various pedigrees.

The snow rail is holding up well and stream crossings were uneventful. Not many VftT today, but temperatures were mild with a few snow flurries.

It is now time to return to some other favorite pasttimes in April, such as skiing Tucks. Good luck to fellow "grid-idiots" for pursuing this goal; it has been a lot of fun.

Thom it was great to see you out there and almost be in attendence for your finish! Congrats on finishing the grid and enjoying bountiful hours on the trails!:D It was a treat to catch up to everyone and meet some more folks with years of dedication to our pasttime!