Free wilderness camping in VT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
OK, let me ask a question..... Is there free wilderness camping in VT like there is in the Whites or Maine? I have Wilson/Breadloaf - Pico/Mendon/Killington and Dorset on the radar for this coming week.

That's 6 out of the 10 peaks I have left to complete the New England 100 highest and the Northeast 115. I plan on finishing both lists on Mt. Mansfield later this year :)

OK, let me ask a question..... Is there free wilderness camping in VT like there is in the Whites or Maine? I have Wilson/Breadloaf - Pico/Mendon/Killington and Dorset on the radar for this coming week.

That's 6 out of the 10 peaks I have left to complete the New England 100 highest and the Northeast 115. I plan on finishing both lists on Mt. Mansfield later this year :)

I'm not sure if this fits your bill, but the Old Job Shelter has alot of flat camping nearby and great watersources. It's not too far from the road where there is a LT parking lot, and since it's off the LT itself it doesn't see alot of use (or at least it didn't when I lived in VT).

Check your LT map (or online source map) - its in the Big Branch Wilderness north of Manchester and South of Rutland - pretty central to your needs. There is a nice country store down below on Rt 7 for resupply. IIRC the road is signed as Brooklyn Rd at the Rt 7 intersection.

Very beautiful area - I recall some very nice campsites along the river near the shelter. FREE. Maybe someone else on vftt has stayed there more recently and can verify - or you could look for updates on the GMC site.

Majority of VT is free to camp. A handful of shelters along Long Trail do have a fee, I think it is $5 or $6. Most of these are in high use areas near Mansfield, Camel's Hump, Smugglers, Abraham, Stratton, et al and usually you can't camp away from shelters at these sites. There are some shelters in Breadloaf Wilderess area and I think they are free. Otherwise away from shelters it's free. GMNF is like camping in the Whites as far as rules. Wildereness Areas have similar rules too. VT isn't quite as dense as NH woods and it seems easier to set up tent.

I think what FF wants is not "wilderness" camping but dispersed roadside camping

If you buy the official GMNF map you can see what land they own and camping is allowed almost anywhere including roadsides, the NW trailhead to Breadloaf is/was an official free primitive campsite

Dorset is private land but you can go E to the NF, from Pico go N or S

And the official GMNF campsites used to be very reasonable, they were $5 when WMNF was $18

Thanks very much for your replies! They are very helpful! Gail and I aren't as familiar with VT as we are NH and Maine. :)

I '"camped" in my jeep Wrangler with my Akita on the side of WheelervilleRd when I had my midweek season pass at Killington, until I discovered that I could camp at the Gondola, now Skyship base so I moved over there.
Have also camped in other woodsy spots in VT no problem.