Friday and Balsam Cap, Catskills.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erd

Reaction score
Many people who climb these peaks benefit from the generous access granted by Joseph ("Buzz") Friedel across his property. Recently, he has been troubled by some abuses, and he will (if they continue) curtail access. Below are the full instructions for parking on his property and using his trails up to the State line on Friday ridge.

Take Moon Haw Road to the private Shultis Road on the left. Do *not* park in the area at the right immediately before the bridge. This is not his property, and the owner does not like hikers there. Rather, cross the bridge (ignore, in fact, the "Private Property) sign. Proceed uphill about 100 feet, and you will be at a crossroads. Turn to your left, and then within 20 feet or so you will see a parking area (marked with green paint) on the right. Park there. There will shortly be a register in place, but until then, please leave a note accessible saying where you are headed, how many in the party, and if you plan to be out more than a day (ideally, if you are going to do so, it is better to go from the end of Moon Haw Road). Do not drive on any of the dirt roads other than those I have indicated, please.

Once you leave the car, walk a few feet back towards the crossroads, and go in the direction of the sign marked "Hikers," following the bright green blaze marks. DO NOT stray onto any other trails. If you make a mistake, and find yourself approaching a house, turn around and retrace to the point where you went wrong.

I'm working with Mr. Friedel to try to ensure that this valuable access route remains available. I can only do this if hikers follow the reasonable rules he has set. Once there is a register in place (which I have assisted him in setting up, btw), please use it.

Best wishes,

Ted

Outings Chair, Catskill 3500 Club

Hi Ted, Thanks for the notice. I wanted to ask a question, though. What if you wanted to park there and bushwack from there to Wittenberg, Cornell or Samuels Point using some of the old woods roads?

This is not a hypothetical question as Jay, Nancy, and I bushwacked from there to Wittenberg at the Catskill gathering and I've also spoken to others about using it as a fall and winter route since it would be better once the nettles are gone.

Just to clarify Fred's post, we bushwacked from the parking lot further up Moonhaw, just over the bridge and on state land, then we crossed the stream and found an old woods road that was sort of marked with property markers (probably friedel's property too).

Surely you could go to Wittenberg but after you get off Joe's property. It's obvious as it is marked by a DEC sign where his property ends and the state land begins if you follow the green marked trail on his property.

I think if you were headed to Samuel's point, the more direct way would be to go from Moon Haw road itself..

Jay

Thank you for this post! I am so appreciative of private property owners granting access to peak via their land. These instructions are very helpful - in many cases access issues are vague.

I wish there was a comprehensive guide to hiking peaks that require access via private property. Thanks to "Buzz" for his patience.

Wittenberg from Moonhaw

You can get to Bruin's Causeway (saddle between Cornell and Wittenberg) from Moonhaw Rd. There is a kind of old trail. I put up a very detailed description of this route on Summitpost.

The end of Moonhaw Road has ridges from Friday, Cornell and Wittenberg all coming in together- and these ridges can be accessed from the state land that comes in at the end of this road- but be careful for Moonhaw Rd terminates on private property, which is clearly marked.

I have done all kinds of fun bushwhacks from this road.

Sorry for the delayed response. Seems like I have received no VFTT message alerts. No matter.

The most interesting way to Samuel's Point is from Dry Brook Road, where there is a trail that goes up over private land over the the two sub-summits (can't remember the name of the first; the next is Little Sam). From there the bushwhack over to Wittenberg is easy, but the climb at the slight ridge on Witt is quite tough. Brings you out at the ledges. A stunning route.

Ted.

Jay H said:
Just to clarify Fred's post, we bushwacked from the parking lot further up Moonhaw, just over the bridge and on state land, then we crossed the stream and found an old woods road that was sort of marked with property markers (probably friedel's property too).

Surely you could go to Wittenberg but after you get off Joe's property. It's obvious as it is marked by a DEC sign where his property ends and the state land begins if you follow the green marked trail on his property.

I think if you were headed to Samuel's point, the more direct way would be to go from Moon Haw road itself..

Jay