From Dix to Nippletop - HOW?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&A

Reaction score
Has anyone made a trip from Dix up to Nippletop? Or alternately, from Elk Lake up to Nippletop? How is the travel there? Any herd paths to look out for?

No path to my knowledge. The shortest route up from the Dix trail near Hunter's Pass to the Nippletop trail near the summit is VERY thick spruce. I went down that route in '95, and it took our group about 3 hours going downhill. That was before Hurricane Floyd in '99, which caused considerable blowdown in that area. I would expect a very challenging bushwhack, even though navigation will be easy. My recommendation (on another thread about this some time ago) is to go out to Gravestone Brook, then take the easy bushwhack up to the trail near Bear Den, and then return to Nippletop. It looks like the long way around, but I'll bet it would be faster and easier.

TCD

Back in '00, from the summit of Dix, one could see several large areas of horrendous blowdown: Every single tree down. While these areas are harder to see from Dix these days, I'm fairly certain that those trees did not right themselves.

Of course, there are cliffs as well. Big ones.

Good luck if you don'T take the Gravestone Brook route.

TCD said:
My recommendation is to go out to Gravestone Brook, then take the easy bushwhack up to the trail near Bear Den, and then return to Nippletop. It looks like the long way around, but I'll bet it would be faster and easier.

A few years ago, I was told about this route when I had inquired about the whack from Noonmark to Bear Den. I haven't had a chance to do it yet but was told it was very easy and straightforward.

By the way, when TCD responds to a post, I've always found the information to be extremely helpful and accurate. This post is no exception. :cool: :D

i12climbup said:
A few years ago, I was told about this route when I had inquired about the whack from Noonmark to Bear Den. I haven't had a chance to do it yet but was told it was very easy and straightforward.

By the way, when TCD responds to a post, I've always found the information to be extremely helpful and accurate. This post is no exception. :cool: :D

Last year I went up Gravestone Brook and on to Dial. On the return we hiked from Bear Den directly to Noonmark. It was pretty easy once out of the burn area.

Rik said:
Last year I went up Gravestone Brook and on to Dial. On the return we hiked from Bear Den directly to Noonmark. It was pretty easy once out of the burn area.

HERE is a link to the trip report from my trip.