From Today's Conway Daily Sun

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilgrim

Reaction score
4/1/2006

Mount Washington site of new Target Supercenter
Rock Blastin

NORTH CONWAY—Plans have been approved to level Mount Washington to make way for a new Target Supercenter.
“Brown and Root Contracting is happy to help shoppers in the state of New Hampshire by removing an impediment like Mount Washington and replacing it with convenient merchandise displayed under the finest fluorescent lights available,” said a spokesman for Brown & Root.
The new store will offer 20 square miles of products available at Wal-Mart, only kitschier.
A Target spokesperson added “North Conway’s economy needs a place that offers commercials peppier than Wal-Mart’s, yet not as annoying as Old Navy's.”
Target is expected to employ up to 200 people who are fed up with their jobs at Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Lowe's.
Planning board members pooh-poohed environmentalists who have expressed concern over demolishing a landmark like Mount Washington, explaining that getting rid of the mountain will improve everyone’s view. “That mountain has been in the way for some years now,” planning board member Rich N. Retiyerd said, “and it’s high time we did something about it.”
Blasting is expected to begin once skiing at Tuckerman Ravine has ended.
Target's spokesperson added, “Now that this has been approved, we’re looking to build a Sam’s Club on the future former site of Mount Chocorua.”

This reminds me of Billy Madison where after Adam Sandler gives his lost puppy/economic answer in the trivia event near the end of the movie. The moderator says, "We are all now dumber for having to listen to that." That's how i feel. I am now dumber for having read this post. Thank you.

It's about time they got rid of that rockpile eyesore over there. By the way, over here on the civilized side of the Whites, the Old Man Planning Commission has decided to put up that faux face after all. It's just a question of technology now.

Waumbek said:
It's about time they got rid of that rockpile eyesore over there. By the way, over here on the civilized side of the Whites, the Old Man Planning Commission has decided to put up that faux face after all. It's just a question of technology now.

If you live on the civilized side of the Whites why do you bother to read "OUR UNCIVILIZED" Paper?

Conway Bypass

Ya'll missed the part about them stringing Wildcat's lifts together with Tash'es, Black Mtn and Crammore to offer rabid transit from Conway to the Maul and back. No more gittin stuck in flatlanders' traffik. :D

In the 'grand' tradition of that location, why not just build it right on top and combine it with a Six Flags ride? And by the way, it really ought to be a Walmart, don't you think?

So where will they be putting the Mt Washington Debris ? Peru NY would be great, then I would have a great view of it across the Lake. I guess that might suk for the people in Peru though whose houses would be crushed. :mad:

"The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year"
Mark Twain

Based on the article featured in post #1, I believe we ought to start making recommendations on how to reroute the AT to bypass the Mt. Washington, NH area. I am in favor of turning east at Lakes Hut, follow the Camel Trail, Davis Path and Glen Boulder Trail, cross NH 16 at Glen Ellis Falls. Then we will be back on track on the Wildcat Ridge Trail. But the views from the Wildcats just will not be the same, maybe more far reaching but the foreground will be a blemish! Also, I will miss the Presidential ridge walk from Clay all the way around to Madison.

Or maybe we should reroute the AT down the Ammonoosuc Trail, follow the Boundary Line Trail, Walk along Jefferson Notch Road and then ascend Caps Ridge to Jefferson, so we could get the rest of the Presidentials on our route. Also, this way we don't have to ford the dangerous Ellis River and can still stop at Pinkham Notch Lodge. AMC then will still have their facility right on the trail.

I also thought a more far-reaching change would be to have the AT just stay with the Long Trail north to Mt. Mansfield and then cut a new trail due east thru the Northeast Kingdom and hook up with the original AT somewhere between Old Speck and Saddleback! Or just let the AT go right thru the sporting goods aisle (does Target have one?) where an AT thru-hiker can resupply.

Now that's what I call progress!! Finally a big box store with the worst weather in the world....
I can see the 'Accident Reports' now--"Ten shoppers found frozen to death enroute to lingerie department; family of two sucked from their Hummer by strong winds on Target's opening day!!...Officials say collateral losses are to be expected...SALE on jeans and cotton T's bring in unprecidented revenues"...Joe's Smokin' Brake Repairs and Pinkham Notch Discount Retread Tires are next stores to be built at base of parking lot...Pizza Hut to take advantage of theme and use Whisper Lites as heat source for ovens...Target's novelty cell phones are a big hit with prerecorded messages--"Ohmygawd Honey, we're on top of Mt Washington. The view from Beauty Aids is spectaculah!!" :D :D

Thanks for the chuckle, Pilgrim!
...Jade

Last edited:
jade said:
I can see the 'Accident Reports' now--"Ten shoppers found frozen to death enroute to lingerie department; family of two sucked from their Hummer by strong winds on Target's opening day!!...Officials say collateral losses are to be expected...Thanks for the chuckle, Pilgrim!
...Jade

I know it's April 3rd and time for this thread to end, but....did you know that greeters will hand out maps and compasses to customers so that no one will have to spend an unplanned night out in the BBSWWW (Big Box Store with the Worst Weather in the World)?

Brown and Root

There's a name that resonates with the Vietnam generation. I believe B&R built Cam Ranh Bay and was the top U.S. contractor in Vietnam.
My son was on an anti-Halliburton rant when I asked him, who else is big enough to do those jobs? Bechtel (nice job on the Big Dig!!!) and who else? Brown and Root was absorbed by Halliburton.