Frost Valley YMCA Post Holing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop74

Reaction score
On Saturday my friend Bill and I hiked Giant Ledge and Panther in our snowshoes from Rt. 47. Everyone we saw on the trail that day was doing the same. It seemed like the trail was overall in pretty good condition all the way to the top of Panther.

On the way back, just after we began coming down Giant Ledge, a group of about 40 children along with some adults came trudging through. We accomdated them by moving off to the side to let them pass us by on their way up Giant Ledge.

Noone in the group, not even the YMCA counselor was using snow shoes. In their wake, the trail was post holed to pieces!!! I understand the importance of gettin kids away from their video games and into the woods and I am all about promoting this type of activity. Still, it did bother me that they trashed the trail the way they did. Maybe if the counselors had mentioned the value of the ground beneath or respecting the use of the trail by others it may have saved the trail a bit. I learned this.

We spent the next mile back to the car trying to avoid 2 foot deep holes in the trail where the kids and their chaperones had plunged through.