Garfield on Friday l

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Z

Reaction score
I am hiking up something on Friday. Garfield sounds like it is well packed. I am going with my friend who has no snowshoes. I see the weather report for Friday, and it says 45 mph from the NW. How do you think that will be? I climbed Garfield a few weeks ago and it was awesome. Any suggestions for Friday?
MZ

I know that the Gorham-area received 10 inches of fresh snow last night (Wednesday night). I haven't heard any reports from the Twin Mountain yet but I would imagine that they received a goodly amount too.

Snow could be soft in the coming days (spring).... sorry to sound like a downer, but, in those conditions postholing is easy to do and destroys the trail... the only trails that are really safe to be without snowshoes on are ones that have melted out (dirt showing) or have a solid ice layer (such as Tuckerman Ravine-type trails).

Last edited:
Garfield has good shelter from the wind up most of the switchbacks and then after the last major switchback it has a long stretch of that gets the wind. It also drifts in significantly after that point to the summit.

Becca, I will be stopping at Lahouts. I will be getting myself a second pair of shoes. With the conditions, I don't think it would be much fun without snowshoes. Don't worry, I won't be the one who ruins your trail.
MZ

Just hiked Garfield today. Three of us broke trail from the parking all the way to the summit. There was 4" or so down low, but the depth increased to 10" or so, plus drifts in some spots (in the switchbacks, like peakbagger mentioned). It should be good for you if you wear snowshoes, if the trail has more traffic then light traction, maybe.

I wouldn't mind hiking Garfield back to back.
Do you think the winds tomorrow won't be so bad till the top?